DO AN JACK WHITE.

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

DO AN JACK WHITE.

Post by ultratwin »

Or maybe not. Last week, Jack White's TMR label just announced the release of Bumble Buzz pedal.

I watched the clip, but still am not sure what the pedal sounds like.

[youtube][/youtube]
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Got the email last week. All I could gather is that it's $300 and there are no knobs.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Brilliant. I'll wait for the deluxe version that costs twice as much and doesn't have a switch either.
George

Post by George »

from a guitarist who made a career doing things on the cheap with a "no nonsense approach" and also said this:
You probably have the most identifiable sound of any player over the last decade. Could you talk about your sound, and how you capture it?

I feel as though I’m breaking through something when I play the guitar onstage or in the studio. Like punching through a wall, or trying to climb on top of something, and then destroying it. That’s the goal from plugging in—even if I’m playing a gentle song. Your tone alone can speak volumes for you. You can also make a statement without over-thinking it. It’s hard to relate that to modern guitar players, though, because they put too much gear between their fingers and the amp. Too many players feel their effects are supposed to craft their tone for them. It really comes from the fingers, of course. For example, the idea behind using the Ward’s Airline in the White Stripes was to prove that you don’t need a brand new guitar to have character, to have tone, and to be able to play what you want to play. You can do it with a piece of plastic, or a piece of wood. You see, you can buy a bunch of fancy equipment, but if you don’t have “it� inside you from the get-go, you’re not going to impress anybody.
http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/jac ... LyBGO.dpuf
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

My wife was .."if i get you that pedal from jack white then would you be mad at me?"..i was like what? Jack is going to sell you one of his pedals? I had no idea..I may be getting one because she likes the whole thirdman vinyl thing..she likes the nostalgia and she said that it will probably be worth much more down the line..i want the ehx epitome though..3 great pedals for 300 bucks..
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
sholkham

Post by sholkham »

At least it sounds jack white-ish, he could paint a tubescreamer red and white and his fans would still buy it for $300.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

I love Jack White. I don't really like his music all that much, but I appreciate what he does and his attitude and think that music in general is better for having him. But I don't really get how this pedal is much of a reflection on him. It's just a pedal.

It says it's available only in person or something and is presented pretty well. I guess this is really just a spin on the limited edition record presses they do which are deliberately meant for collectors, not music lovers. It's a business model that raises revenue that then allows the business to do pretty much what it wants. Criticising it for having little in the way of adjustment or for having a fairly ridiculous price is daft.

At least it isn't a snake oil bullshit Dumbloid.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

They were selling a limited edition All Tomorrows Parties fuzz pedal. £200. Fuck no.
euan
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

sholkham wrote:At least it sounds jack white-ish, he could paint a tubescreamer red and white and his fans would still buy it for $300.
It's cool seeing Jack White playing the Bass VI, though it makes sense given what he does on Songs like Seven Nation Army.

While I think $300 is ridiculous, to get the full Jack White sound you would need a MXR MicroAmp, POG, Big Muff and Digitech Whammy. That would be more expensive than the $300, though you would have way more flexibility with those pedals individually.

Sounds cool but way too expensive.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

It's an octave up and down fuzz that doesn't seem to work with chords.

IT'S A ROCKTRON PURPLE HAZE, Y'ALL

Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
George

Post by George »

Also:
AVAILABLE FOR VAULT MEMBERS
ONLY THROUGH OUR
VAULT PLATINUM MEMBER STORE
vault platinum subscription cost: $60

http://thirdmanstore.com/tmr-vault-plat ... bscription
George

Post by George »

things sold like this deserve to be degooped and cloned
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

BacchusPaul wrote:Brilliant. I'll wait for the deluxe version that costs twice as much and doesn't have a switch either.
LAWL!
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Oh, really? This? Again?
It really comes from the fingers, of course.
Stop with this. Please. Stop. I'm sick of the 'tone is in your fingers' BS, even if it's from someone who's respected and is clearly talented. That mentality is what snobbish old pub bluez dudes repeat ad nauseam when they envy people younger than them using gear manufactured after 1975. Saying that 'tone' or simply sounding good relies completely on 'refining your technique' to the exclusion of all else is blinkered and stupid. Nobody is going to sound at his or her best if the equipment isn't working properly. [/rant]

Heh. Maybe this box will make me and my rig sound better. I'm not prepared to drop that amount of cash to find out though. I'm with ekwatts on it being geared towards the collector's market more than anything else.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Also, I really do love the Jack White sound.

Good job I can already do a really good version of it already, really (though I probably spent more than $300 to get there).
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

if my wife bought it for xmas for me then know that we aren't going in thinking it's going to do anything for my sound..it's wooden and cool and in limited numbers and if it's a worth a lot more someday then it was worth it. I like things that are rare and i can say check this out..

i sorta agree with the tone in the fingers being bs..the only thing i could say contrary to that is that i have a friend that will take my gear and make it sound like i want to but i can't..that's confusing..let me try again..i was going to get rid of my tele because it sounds like a strat to me and i have 5 strats already and my friend said hand it to me and he started playing and i was like fuck, i want it to sound like that..but wait..that's my shit..wtf..he showed me where to pick and how to do some volume and tone maneuvering and bam..i could make it sound like i thought a tele should sound. So there is a little truth to it but it's not like old dudes say and it's more that tone can be manipulated in the technique
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

George wrote:from a guitarist who made a career doing things on the cheap with a "no nonsense approach" and also said this:
You probably have the most identifiable sound of any player over the last decade. Could you talk about your sound, and how you capture it?

I feel as though I’m breaking through something when I play the guitar onstage or in the studio. Like punching through a wall, or trying to climb on top of something, and then destroying it. That’s the goal from plugging in—even if I’m playing a gentle song. Your tone alone can speak volumes for you. You can also make a statement without over-thinking it. It’s hard to relate that to modern guitar players, though, because they put too much gear between their fingers and the amp. Too many players feel their effects are supposed to craft their tone for them. It really comes from the fingers, of course. For example, the idea behind using the Ward’s Airline in the White Stripes was to prove that you don’t need a brand new guitar to have character, to have tone, and to be able to play what you want to play. You can do it with a piece of plastic, or a piece of wood. You see, you can buy a bunch of fancy equipment, but if you don’t have “it� inside you from the get-go, you’re not going to impress anybody.
http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/jac ... LyBGO.dpuf

Yeah but doesn't he actually use quite a few pedals? To my mind if you are using a digitech whammy, you lose all rights to preach about simplicity of signal chain. So I guess he was talking shit then rather than being a hypocrite now.
obscure pop culture reference
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

he uses tons of effects...are you kidding me..i've seen his shit..ha..Some of that whammy stuff isn't even a whammy..it's a ehx hog (check the price on those) and a pog and everything he can dream of..he has a fuzz built into a few of his guitars, a la' norman greenbaum..

Anyone who uses a hog and a pog in conjunction with a whammy has no right to speak about tone coming from your fingers..totally agreed..i mean what kind of fingers you have that allow you to play 3 octaves under the root and two above while creating their own harmony of fifths..that some bad ass fingers..blah
lorez

Post by lorez »

brandonwinmill wrote:he uses tons of effects...are you kidding me..i've seen his shit..ha..Some of that whammy stuff isn't even a whammy..it's a ehx hog (check the price on those) and a pog and everything he can dream of..he has a fuzz built into a few of his guitars, a la' norman greenbaum..

Anyone who uses a hog and a pog in conjunction with a whammy has no right to speak about tone coming from your fingers..totally agreed..i mean what kind of fingers you have that allow you to play 3 octaves under the root and two above while creating their own harmony of fifths..that some bad ass fingers..blah
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

Meanwhile @ TGP they are masturbating furiously and speaking of its haunting mids and superb simplicity.