Fender Short Scale Necks - Accurate Measurements?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Casual_Reader

Post by Casual_Reader »

24 scale jagmasterII 21 fret "conversion" neck - rosewood
24 scale cv duo 21 fret "conversion" neck - maple

optical illusion? or does the cv duo look longer from the last fret to butt?

the cv duo is 17 - 3/8

this thread: http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32649

says they're both 17 - 3/16ths.

perhaps he measured the jagmaster assuming they were the same?

in which case - the jagmasterII's conversion neck would be 3/16th shorter than the cv duo's conversion neck.

anyone with a jagmasterII care to confirm?

anyone still reading this now that it's buried in a sub-forum?

bueller... bueller... bueller...

Simone: Um, it's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who said you could put a precision bass neck on a 24.75 tele-sonic... it's like... bitchin, man.

[youtube][/youtube]
cur

Post by cur »

My jag master conversion neck measures 17 1/4" from inner nut to farthest part of butt. It is the MIC sn CY 100******.

Casual_Reader

Post by Casual_Reader »

cur wrote:My jag master conversion neck measures 17 1/4" from inner nut to farthest part of butt.
excellent... thanks for taking the time.

might be able to get a work in progress pdf posted by the weekend... 20 pages so far.

if nothing else, it could be fun just to roll through the pages real fast :whee!:
Casual_Reader

Post by Casual_Reader »

just now noticed AddamInsane edited his post to add a 21 fret jagmaster @ 17 & 3/8

so apparently they changed over time... it's a puzzle.
Addam

Post by Addam »

That should be 17 3/16"! :oops:
Damn them fractions!!!
Casual_Reader

Post by Casual_Reader »

AddamInsane wrote:Damn them fractions!!!
I've been using them all my life and I still have to check and re-check to see what tick mark is what. It's always a bit of a zeroing in process instead of straight to it. It's quirky, but we're stubborn.

the jagmaster was the first 24 "conversion" neck (I think), so there might be an explanation for the 16th difference. I'll check tonight and illustrate it if it adds up.

it may be convoluted like I'm thinking or may be as simple as that last fret being too hard (time consuming) to dress right on the corner... so they lengthened the board slightly to get it on the flat with the rest of the frets.

I do like puzzles.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

Casual_Reader wrote:Image

24 scale jagmasterII 21 fret "conversion" neck - rosewood
24 scale cv duo 21 fret "conversion" neck - maple

optical illusion? or does the cv duo look longer from the last fret to butt?

the cv duo is 17 - 3/8

this thread: http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32649

says they're both 17 - 3/16ths.

perhaps he measured the jagmaster assuming they were the same?
I probably measured with an inaccurate device
at least, from what my memory serves..
I might still have both of those necks...
plus a few other shortscale necks, but i'll have to dig about a bit to find a proper tape measure.
perhaps i'll do the next measurements in metric.
Casual_Reader

Post by Casual_Reader »

Jim_Nowhere wrote: I probably measured with an inaccurate device
Welcome to the cause, comrade.

I posted this elsewhere the other day... tape measures drive me nuts. That hook at the end can have it be off a little... just enough to mess up trim work.

in absence of a good quality (expensive) ruler, I cut up a damaged / worthless or cheap tape measure with scissors. Once at 130 or so inches and then carefully across the 100" mark. Perfect for butting up against something... like a nut.
cur

Post by cur »

I measure from the 1" line and then subtract 1 from the measurement to account for the inaccuracy of the hook.

Casual_Reader

Post by Casual_Reader »

cur wrote:I measure from the 1" line and then subtract 1 from the measurement to account for the inaccuracy of the hook.
I do the same occasionally... and no, I won't tell you how often I forget to subtract.

ok, here's the convoluted explanation for the two different lengths:

"conversion neck" - but conversion for what? I'm guessing the "22.7" scales - mim duo, china duo and the so called "22.75" mini strat.

we're in luck because AddamInsane gave us measurements for the mini strat.

board length 15.90625 (15 & 29/32)... so we can do maths!

22.718 (mini strat scale and 2nd fret of 25.5 scale as mentioned in my second post of this thread)
= 6.811750 which I'm going to round off to 6.8125 since it's less than a thousandth of an inch off

and 24.00 scale minus 17.1875 (3/16ths)board length = 6.8125 butt to bridge line

but why change it to a 17.25 long board?

what if they then changed the "conversion" scale from 24.00 to 24.069 (the first fret of the std. fender 25.5 scale)

24.00 - 17.25 = 6.75

24.069 - 17.25 = 6.819 which I'm going to round off to, you guessed it, 6.8125 - a direct swap.

the proof would be if cur's 17.25 board had a inside of nut to center of 12 fret measurement of 12.034 (12 & 1/32nd)

and AddamInsane's 17.1875 board had exactly 12.00 from inside nut to center of 12th.

otherwise, I apologize for the maths and await the police :?
[youtube][/youtube]
Casual_Reader

Post by Casual_Reader »

pdf rough sketched in... cleaned up and updated when have free time.

it'll give you an idea of what it could be if all the measurements were accurate.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/nfbdwo38rzmmo ... scales.pdf

anything to add?

edit to add: the illustration of the post above is currently page 20 of 27.
it may get moved or eventually deleted.
Casual_Reader

Post by Casual_Reader »

confirmation on the length of a 58 Duo neck

not much new other than the table on last page - bodies and necks

unless you have a Roadhouse, Big Apple or Lonestar Strat with the non standard 22 fret 25.5 scale neck, the only thing the so called conversion necks might work with (without moving the bridge) are bodies that came with a 20 fret 22.7 scale neck - mini strat and possibly the 1990s duo sonic reissues (not the 21 fret strat jr).

apparently a 24.75 cyclone neck could intonate on a vintage duo or musicmaster with the saddles back a little over a 16th.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

If anyone out there is thinking of using a Squier Mustang neck for a partscaster please note that it won't fit on a vintage body without sanding the neck or pocket. It's a couple of mm too wide.

I tried mine on my vintage Duosonic body just to check (as I'm currently still looking for a neck for it) but no luck.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Thomas wrote:If anyone out there is thinking of using a Squier Mustang neck for a partscaster please note that it won't fit on a vintage body without sanding the neck or pocket. It's a couple of mm too wide.

I tried mine on my vintage Duosonic body just to check (as I'm currently still looking for a neck for it) but no luck.
That's interesting - the white body you have wore a Squier VM Jaguar neck for a while. It was a tight fit, but didn't have to be forced.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yeah the other one was the one I tried. It seems smaller all over and the screw placement seems a touch different too. I think it may have been paired with a 22" neck.

You know how vintage neck pockets vary tho. This may have been a combo of that and a lot of gloss on the mustang neck.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Also Japanese spec necks are generally 1mm or so wider at the heel than US spec necks. I believe the VM Jag and JM are US spec (the pickguards are and the necks appear to be) but the VM Mustang may be Japanese spec.

You might be right about the green body - I should have tried the neck from the 63 Duo on it while I had both, as that was a 22.5 neck.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

That makes total sense. Once I get a neck for the ex-green one I'll give an update on what needs done to make it fit. Hopefully it will just need re-drilled.

I have a 70s Mustang coming soon so I'll do a test fit with that neck to see how it fares.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I popped a standard Strat neck on this for a test fit and it's fine. Squier Mustang neck is way bigger. Looks like you were right on the button Nick.
Jamesoffset135

Hi my name is James I am new here I have a question

Post by Jamesoffset135 »

Hi I just joined this site my name is James, I need to know the diameter of the 65 reissue Jaguar th hi I just joined this site my name is James, I need to know the diameter of the 65 reissue jaguar Pearl dot inlay as I'm almost finished binding me allparts jag neck & before are Fretting after doing the bindings, I'd like to drill out these stock grey dot inlay and order Pearl bigger dot inlay which never installed dots, just Celluliod block inlays.

So if anyone has an idea of at least even the 60 to re-issue standard size diameter.
If anyone has an idea of at least even the 62 reissue standard size diameter dot inlay, I can go off that an estimate what size to get I'm guessing they are 7 mm or 8 mm just don't want them too big because in the photos of the 65 reissue neck they heal from the dock is touching the top & bottom frets so need to get the exact size and want to order today.

I'd really appreciate anyone's advice I try to post this but it said I already made too many post today to try to post again later but I never posted yet on the site so I don't know if that was about my pop up though so just in case I am sorry
I do custom guitar binding block inlays on necks decals clear coat wets and really good looks like glass restorations and mods
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Hi Paul1k!!!