Chord inversion Fingering Help

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

lorez

Chord inversion Fingering Help

Post by lorez »

So I'm working on my funk playing and chord inversions of extended chords like m7, m6, maj7, 9th, 11th, etc and while I know the frets from diagrams I was wondering if there was anywhere I could see the common way to play them with my 4 fingers? Some of what I think is right just feel cramped.

Example Gm7 would be

E--3--6--10--13--15
B--3--6--8---11--15
G--3--7--10--12--15
D--3--5--8---12--15

So what fingers do you put on which frets? Any tips?
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

Here's one i was working on that uses m7ths.

[youtube][/youtube]

I don't know if this will work but i play em7 like this...

Em7

This website is so useful to me. I can't tell you how much i use it. I use it daily. Sometimes i just play and then put in there what i was playing and it'll tell me what chords i was playing so i can move it to other instruments..If you want to know the proper fingering of the chords the way you have them written then under variations on that site it may have it. I play it the way it shows or i'll bar and use my thumb on the low e. If nothing else i hope the website helps you down the road...
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

Gm7 like this if it were me...This sounds funky this way and i like to bar stuff..

Gm7
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Guitar Pro has all variants of chords with showing which finger(1,2,3,4) you should put on a string.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Brandon, that's how I normally play it or with a bar on strings D-E, A string muted & Low E on same string as the bar. What I'm looking for here is inversions but on the bottom 4 strings. Sort of like triads. Also great tune :)

Sunshiner I'll try and take a look. Is guitar pro a website or software?
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

lorez wrote:Brandon, that's how I normally play it or with a bar on strings D-E, A string muted & Low E on same string as the bar. What I'm looking for here is inversions but on the bottom 4 strings. Sort of like triads. Also great tune :)

Sunshiner I'll try and take a look. Is guitar pro a website or software?
Oh..you're inverting it..I see. I missed the inversion part. Sorry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Lorez, it is a software that allows to work with tablatures. official web site

It is quite popular cause there are free hacked versions of it all over the internet. (That doesn't mean that I encourage you to use pirate products of course :twisted: ))))

This is how it looks in the programme

Johno

Post by Johno »

Does the software allow you to plot an empty chord box & then tell you what chord it is?
jbuonacc

Post by jbuonacc »

if you happen to have an iOS device, there's a great app called "Guitar Toolkit" which i'd definitely recommend. does everything you're asking with a slick interface, and does the plotting the chord box (fretboard) thing for sure. has scales and arpeggios as well.

i'm a negative creep.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

Johno wrote:Does the software allow you to plot an empty chord box & then tell you what chord it is?
The website i posted earlier does. It gives you a blank fretboard and you hit what you were holding and it tells you the name of the chord..So go here and it should do it..
lorez

Post by lorez »

Sunshiner that looks like it might help a lot, I'll investigate further
jbuonacc wrote:if you happen to have an iOS device, there's a great app called "Guitar Toolkit" which i'd definitely recommend. does everything you're asking with a slick interface, and does the plotting the chord box (fretboard) thing for sure. has scales and arpeggios as well.

thanks for the tip but does it tell me which finger to put where? I know the frets of the chords I'm playing with its just my fingering at times seems cramped and wrong.
jbuonacc

Post by jbuonacc »

yes, it sure can, couldn't find a pic of the Chord page. you can also switch it to show note names and intervals.

here's a link:

http://agilepartners.com/apps/guitartoolkit/
i'm a negative creep.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Johno wrote:Does the software allow you to plot an empty chord box & then tell you what chord it is?
If you're asking about Guitar Pro, I've never tried to do it, but I think it allows.
Gabriel

Re: Chord inversion Fingering Help

Post by Gabriel »

lorez wrote:So I'm working on my funk playing and chord inversions of extended chords like m7, m6, maj7, 9th, 11th, etc and while I know the frets from diagrams I was wondering if there was anywhere I could see the common way to play them with my 4 fingers? Some of what I think is right just feel cramped.

Example Gm7 would be

E--3--6--10--13--15
B--3--6--8---11--15
G--3--7--10--12--15
D--3--5--8---12--15

So what fingers do you put on which frets? Any tips?
For the first inversion I would just barre across with my first finger, you can also barre with your third finger and play the root on the low e with your second finger.

The second inversion I use my first and third finger for the lower to notes and barre with my second finger, this is a little tricky at first but once you get the hang of it, it's much easier.

Third inversion you have there I barre with my index finger and use fingers 3 and 4 to play the notes in the higher fret.

Fourth inversion you've got there I use fingers 2 and 3 for the lower notes, first finger for the fret below and fourth for the fret above.

The last is the same as the first.

If you want to work on more of these chords there is a great book by Berklee press called the jazz guitar chord dictionary. It was really useful for me when I was getting into funk.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Thanks Gabriel, that is how I'm playing them, just feels a little cramped with my doughy fingers on some of the higher frets. I'll take a look at the book you recommend as well
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Here's the book. It's a really great little book. Don't worry about the exercises and things listed in it, just try and learn as many chords as possible.

The nice thing with chords is that they help improve your technique in a very substantial way, so through working on tricky chords you'll really see a lot of improvement in your playing.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

damn wtf is that shit. sorry i have been beer tonight everywhere
lorez

Post by lorez »

Sloan wrote:damn wtf is that shit. sorry i have been beer tonight everywhere
damn you sloan to reveal the ultimate truth