Why do you play a shortscale?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Why are you here?

Small arms/hands
29%
Looks cool man
39%
Them tonezzz
9%
MEDICAL REASONS FUCK OFF
7%
Sloan.
16%

Total votes: 94
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

Because i like the feel and look and its very easy to play. And the sound of a mustang i simply incredible.
frettedlefty

Post by frettedlefty »

I like the fact that I own a mustang more than the fact that it's short scale. I play my strat and my les paul more than my stang really, but my stang is my favorite looking and I like the sound. Feel wise I'm more of a strat guy.
"Without music, life would be a mistake"
TimEMT94

Post by TimEMT94 »

I use my Mustang and Strat about equally. I have pretty big hands and prefer my Strat for playing high up the neck, not to mention the thinner neck is much more comfortable for such styles. But when I'm playing chords with hard to reach fingerings, I prefer my Mustang. Plus I just love the dynamic vibrato.
frettedlefty

Post by frettedlefty »

TimEMT94 wrote:I use my Mustang and Strat about equally. I have pretty big hands and prefer my Strat for playing high up the neck, not to mention the thinner neck is much more comfortable for such styles. But when I'm playing chords with hard to reach fingerings, I prefer my Mustang. Plus I just love the dynamic vibrato.
I swear once I set up my mustangs vibrato properly it stays in tune better than the floyd knockoff crap on my RG. And that's locking. LOL.
"Without music, life would be a mistake"
FredJr

Post by FredJr »

The Jaguar was my first really good guitar. It feels right, it sounds right, it plays right. Leo got it RIGHT the first time, what more can I say :D
LizardKing

Post by LizardKing »

FredJr wrote:It feels right, it sounds right, it plays right. Leo got it RIGHT the first time, what more can I say :D
I couldn't add anything to that....
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

I play a shortscale because I am a midget and I have tiny baby hands that can't stretch on a full length scale.
Hi, my name is Tom Cruise.
*lolwut*
MattK

Post by MattK »

My Musicmaster is black, beat to shit, looks cool, sounds beautiful and it's so small that I kind of forget it's there. What's not to like?
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

I have big hands also. It's not just shortscales for me though. I love most fender necks. They are perfect for me.
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
lorez

Post by lorez »

Fran wrote:I voted 'looks cool'. I wanted a Jag before i even learnt to play guitar.
In the late 80's it seemed to me anyone that was anybody 'different' used a Jag, with the odd exceptions like Mascis with the JM and Sonic Youth
Park me here as well
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

actual jag-stang is unfinished project

the neck never got Correct copy , it´s a mustang neck like any other jag mustang neck , of course it isint neck profile of kurt jag-stang
It´s come whit Strato pickup on neck , not an Texas special on neck
it´s come whit generic crap bucker on bridge while kurt choice has an black JB
it´s come mustang bridge , i know its polemical but even that kurt choice has Gotoh Tom
it´s come whit Klusons while Favorite Kurt Tuners Was Gotoh SM-38 Sealed Tuners
it´s don´t have any comfort curves on gigantic guitar it´s horrible to play sit , at last an comfort curves on back.
the wood choice of kurt one was alder , the jap comes in basscrappo , don´t know others but mine sound was a shit.
neck is nice but i would wish have kurts guitar neck copy was it´s a signature guitar.
bridge comes complete incapable keep in tune from factory setup and don´t came any manual , i locked , flipped over down , did voodoo , until an friend called mad-mike shows how setup that shit

ie it´s unfinished , incomplete and my 2K Copy sounds like crap at humbucker.

kurt favorite tuners by the way.
can tell yuck or whatever want but thats kurt choice and should be respected , but fuck that its fender what you can get from lols
Precise dwarf bravery
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

I play an offset for the looks (no doubt influenced by who was playing what when I was 13 in 1993), a short scale because I have large hands but short fingers.

The fact that I like the sound of Jaguar pickups is an added bonus.
Hell is other people.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Punkacc9 wrote:
NickS wrote:I'd never seen a Swinger before and I bought it because it looked unusual and it was cheap (£80). So I voted COOL.
Whaaaaa? Was this when they came out or did you just get one killer deal?
Sorry, missed this first time round.
About 1975, beat to hell, pickup was o/c - seemed not so bad when plugged into a valve amp (1 Mohm input) but disappeared when plugged into the HH (100K input) They threw in a hotter pickup rewind for the price.
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

Short scale guitars get all the girls. Thats kind of the only reason to play one really.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

for me switching to a shortscale just made sense as aesthetically they look so much sexier, and with my hands being totally fucked, makes it much easier to DO AN RIFFS, while also rocking out on whatever other jibberjab i like..
mind a gibson 24 3/4" scale also work fine for me, but stretching up to the 25.5" my hands just get all cramped up and i'm done playing after about 15 - 20 minutes..

oddly, i don't have this issue on bass, but I suspect that is more to do with how my playing technique changes for bass from guitar..
Walnut

Post by Walnut »

I hate Kurt Cobain and thought it would be ironic.
blane

Post by blane »

I have really small hands. I liked the jag-stang neck and found it more comfortable than all the other guitars I played. I just assumed it was the 24'' neck that made it comfortable for me. Much later i realized it was the 7.5 radius that made the neck comfortable, not really the scale. I find strats and tele's with 7.5'' necks just as comfortable so i don't even own a shortscale anymore.

Though I do think the mustang is the best looking guitar ever.
Guitars:
2014 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2013 Gibson SG 61RI
1998 Paul Reed Smith CE22
LuvN Guitars

Post by LuvN Guitars »

I'd never thought about playing a short scale until the last couple of years. I have shortish fingers, but always played 25.5" scale guitars. Tried a Jaguar and found I liked the ergonomics when sitting down (Mustang is the same) also the shorter scale worked with my somewhat beat up left hand. I now have a MUstang and a Jaguar. :wink:
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

Shorter scales = Heavier Strings.

Me likey.
thaiairways

Post by thaiairways »

The Jaguar sound. Scale's got nothing to do with it.