Boss Mega Distortion...

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

johnnyseven

Boss Mega Distortion...

Post by johnnyseven »

...They seem to go for super cheap on ebay, just wondering what's wrong with them?
Last edited by johnnyseven on Fri May 31, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
71Smallbox

Re: Boss Mega Distortion...

Post by 71Smallbox »

johnnyseven wrote:...The se seem to go for super cheap on ebay, just wondering what's wrong with them?
bossarea wrote:No other Boss pedal has as much gain as the MD-2..........7 string players have been targeted by advertising campaigns
Maybe people just associate it with the uber passe Nu-Metal genre?
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

johnnyseven wrote:...They seem to go for super cheap on ebay, just wondering what's wrong with them?
Nothing, they're good pedals. Tim from Part Chimp uses one.
HNB

Post by HNB »

I really like mine. You can adjust treble and bass which gives you a nice wide amound of tonal sounds.
DasBeef

Post by DasBeef »

I think it's a fairly decent pedal, but the resale is arse.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Thanks chaps. With this feedback and the used cost I may have to try one.
DasBeef

Post by DasBeef »

I've seen one on Simon Neil from Biffy's board as well if that helps.
It's a nice fat heavy distortion. I have one, and will probably hang onto it for my heavy distortion needs.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

They're like the middle ground between a DS-2 and a Metal Zone to me. Can sound good but depends massively on your amp.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Didn't this model replace the Hyper Metal?
Never tried one, be interested to hear your thoughts J7.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

wwrrss wrote:Tim from Part Chimp uses one.
This post makes it sound as though Part Chimp haven't broken up. But I'm pretty sure Part Chimp broke up. Please tell me Part Chimp didn't break up?
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Missed one on ebay by less than a pound. I'll keep my eye out for another.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

think there's one with a £30 BIN, only 4 quid more than the one that ended today.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Thanks Stewart. I found one on Gumtree that I can get for 30, I just have to work out when I can pick it up.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

sweet.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Before I buy can anyone confirm whether these have scooped mids? I don't want to get lost in the mix when rocking with my band.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Lolz, go go Johnny Reseeeeeeearch!
HNB

Post by HNB »

johnnyseven wrote:Before I buy can anyone confirm whether these have scooped mids? I don't want to get lost in the mix when rocking with my band.
They have a separate bass and treble control so I wouldn't think it would be scooped mids unless you set it that way.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

I've been reading up on these on the web and nowhere mentioned an issue with getting lost in the mix.

So, I bought one from a guy on Gumtree. I tried it out briefly tonight, please bare in mind that it was at bedroom level, and it sounded good. It has less of an obvious distorted metal tone like the Metal Zone has and more of a bottom heavy fierce overdrive tone. It's been a while since i've played one, but the sound did remind me a bit of a muff. The sound is nice and thick too which is what I was after. I'll have to report back once I have played it at proper volume though.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

I tried my MD2 at rehearsal last night. I wasn't using my amp (a Fender Bassman 50 from 1975) but a house Laney 50 watt head and cab. The pedal seemed to have the same issue that i've had with Big Muffs in the past in the the amp doesn't have enough headroom to handle the sound from the pedal. The pedal sounded really quite through it no matter where I had the volume, turning the bottom control down helped a bit but it was still pretty quiet. No wonder this pedal gets bad reviews. I'll have to try it through my Bassman, I think it'll probably be able to handle it a bit better.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I remember having issues with Boss distortions never being loud enough (check out ANY live Nirvana show for proof of this); possibly down to amp impedance but also due to pickup output. Try lowering your pickups a little to bring them more in-line with the conservative amount of volume Boss make available on their dirt boxes.

This isn't just down to amp headroom if your clean sound is loud enough; the hottest pickup in the world will still be the same volume once a distortion pedal has compressed it to baaaaaaaalls, so reign that clean output back a little.