is there something i'm missing about this guitar cab?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

George

is there something i'm missing about this guitar cab?

Post by George »

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

closed back plywood 212 with two celestion vintage 30s for £160?

they retail for £80 each! so are they like sub-standard or low tier versions or something? i don't get it.

unfortunately i'd be looking to get a Mustang V head which is stereo 75w per speaker. but i could possibly flip them and buy some eminences maybe.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Cab manufacturers don't pay anywhere close to retail price for the speakers (same as some guitar manufacturers for SD pickups, Floyd Roses, etc). Depending on the retailers markup and Celestion's markup, they could be paying less than half what the speakers go for retail.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

That is a steal at that price.

Re the cab rating. I have a Marshall 2 x 12 with 1 Vintage 30 and a Greenback, at the gig I played this past weekend I played my Bassman 50 through it at 4.5 as it was a big room and it wasn't mic'd - it was phenominally loud. Unless you're planning to blow your head off or play very large venues the cab as it is would probably be sufficient.
George

Post by George »

ah okay, so unless i'm playing really really loud, it won't matter if i've got 75w going into 60w?
George

Post by George »

might pull the trigger on this and get a new mustang v head

i'm definitely leaning toward a 212 or 210 with head setup for weight and stuff, and it'll be like £400 all in new
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

I have one, I love it, and eveyone that plays it doesn't believe that it has vintage 30's sounds so good and costs so little...

I broke both speakers buy playing 2octave down and drum tracks and noise, send it back and they put new speakers and didn't charge a thing...
George

Post by George »

that's awesome haha

so it sounds good then? how about the weight and construction?
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I used one of these for a couple of years and it was great, never had any problems with it whatsoever!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

It makes me pine for my Marshall 2x12; 1x12s are great, but another speaker and a bigger enclosure go a loooooooooooong way.
George

Post by George »

hmm just wondering if I'm going to break my back with this thing. listed as 25kg, same as my old mesa nomad 55 (piece of shit). plus the added dimensions!

other than that i think it's a done deal
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

George wrote:hmm just wondering if I'm going to break my back with this thing. listed as 25kg, same as my old mesa nomad 55 (piece of shit). plus the added dimensions!

other than that i think it's a done deal
From what I can see judging by my own shopping around for a 2x12, the weight issue is par for the course...at least this has carrying handles at both ends, unlike the single handle of many 1x12 guitar combos of similar weight.

If it really does turn out to be a pile of crappy matchwood, you will at least have a pair of V30s to load into something else. Looks like a sensible buy to me.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

George wrote: my old mesa nomad 55 (piece of shit)
WUT

My buddy had one of these, I thought it sounded great. Why all the hate in 2008?
George

Post by George »

very dark sounding. channel 1 couldn't get good cleans at all. channel 2 (mid-gain) channel sounded dull and lifeless. channel 3 did that fantastic rectifier liquid gain but it wasn't what i was after. too little too late.

and it didn't take pedals too well.

i think sloan hates them too iirc
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

it's not that heavy. For to people to carry it's really easy, to carry it by yourself it's not that easy more from the size not the weight.

I'm actually buying another one when i have the chance. hat way I can play a 4x12 and only carry a 2x12 to shows. The think is well constructed , mine is full of scratches and dings, but I dn't really threat it that nice and have gigged with it a lot.
louis
fuckin' A

Post by louis »

George wrote:might pull the trigger on this and get a new mustang v head
Twitter: @fearthelivinguk
theshadowofseattle wrote:Nothin' but orange groves and black augs, as far as the eye could see.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Get some wheels and then it won't be an issue. Seriously I've lugged my annoyingly heavy Rivera combo on that trolley and it's super easy, the only problem is when you reach a set of stairs.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

I'd put some castors on the bottom, it's a pretty easy job. I'd bolt them through the bottom of the cab though, drill through the bottom of the cab and secure with a nut on the inside. My Marshall 2x12 had castors that affixed with screws to the bottom of theg cab, when I got it 1 had already been ripped out and re-sited and the others were going the same way.
louis
fuckin' A

Post by louis »

Know what I do? Not be a fucking pussy and lift a 4x12 wherever the fuck it needs to go. That or ask for help.

Plus, from experience (my dad lent me his for a festival) that trolley is pretty awesome.
Twitter: @fearthelivinguk
theshadowofseattle wrote:Nothin' but orange groves and black augs, as far as the eye could see.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Doog wrote:
George wrote: my old mesa nomad 55 (piece of shit)
WUT

My buddy had one of these, I thought it sounded great. Why all the hate in 2008?
Worst fucking amp ever. I traded a goddamn krankenstein for one cause I wanted a combo. Worst fucking deal I jab ever ever ever done. Fuck those amps. Fuck em.
George

Post by George »

louis wrote:Know what I do? Not be a fucking pussy and lift a 4x12 wherever the fuck it needs to go. That or ask for help.

Plus, from experience (my dad lent me his for a festival) that trolley is pretty awesome.
i don't have space in the car or at home for a 412. and i don't think i need that much oomph anyway.

like the look of the trolley. might have to get one of them. hoisting that mesa nomad in my arms was a fucking nightmare