Wax potting pickups

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Wax potting pickups

Post by SKC Willie »

I've fought feedback for the last few months with my semi-hollow body and determined it's probably because the pickups are microphonic. I've never had pickups like these but when I touch the metal casings with the pick, it sounds through the amp.

So, has anyone actually potted microphonic pickups? I've watched the youtube videos and I've seen people dipping them in wax and some even say the wax type doesn't matter, so in general I'm just looking for knowledge on the subject from someone who has actually done it themselves.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

There's a how-to on the WIKI. For some reason I thought it was Fran's. I forget now. I have always wanted to try it, but I would need a pan to ruin. I was also thinking about black wax.
Yell Like Hell
TexasSwede

Post by TexasSwede »

Most use paraffin or paraffin & bees wax blend. Just maintain a temp somewhere above melting point and considerably lower than flash point, and drop them in for 10-15 mins or until they stop bubbling. Remove and scrape the cooled wax off the outside and you're done. Just be careful - NO OPEN FLAME! Paraffin can have a low flashpoint, so a good thermometer and tight control over temperature is mandatory.
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

It's recommended to double dip them too.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

DGNR8 wrote:There's a how-to on the WIKI. For some reason I thought it was Fran's. I forget now. I have always wanted to try it, but I would need a pan to ruin. I was also thinking about black wax.
That link looks about the same as what i did.
I used an old can for the wax placed over a boiling pan of water. Melted some plain candles and fully submerged two Jag pups with covers and claw on.
The results were quite good, its a messy dangerous job though.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Thomas wrote:It's recommended to double dip them too.

then cover them with nuts and top with whipped cream and a cherry!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Gabriel

Re: Wax potting pickups

Post by Gabriel »

SKC Willie wrote:I've never had pickups like these but when I touch the metal casings with the pick, it sounds through the amp.
I've had this on a bunch of metal covered pickups, I thought it was normal.

I know Kurt Rosenwinkel hated that so taped over the edge of the pickup to stop the noise:

[youtube][/youtube]

You can hear my pick hitting the pickup on this video.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

I don't mind the noise so much. It can be annoying but I think it's one of those things that I'm the only one to really notice it.

Does it not cause feedback on your Eastman?
twitter.com/skcwillie

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Nah it's not the source of feedback for me, it's just certain resonant frequencies that cause the top to vibrate that is the killer for me.

But if you're smart with your amp placement and don't play really loud it's not an issue. The only time I've not been able to use the guitar because of feedback was when I was playing REALLY loud.

Try taping over the F-holes, it helps a lot with feedback.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

Gabriel wrote:Nah it's not the source of feedback for me, it's just certain resonant frequencies that cause the top to vibrate that is the killer for me.

But if you're smart with your amp placement and don't play really loud it's not an issue. The only time I've not been able to use the guitar because of feedback was when I was playing REALLY loud.

Try taping over the F-holes, it helps a lot with feedback.
I did. And I filled the inside of the guitar with plastic bags to damper down the top vibrating. And I'm playing at pretty normal garage band volumes but as soon as I use any kind of dirt or fuzz it just squeals and squeals. Since I've stuffed and taped the f holes, I figured it must be the lack of wax potting pickups. I do have a couple of cheapie humbuckers that I may try to see if it is the pups.

I had an Epiphone Dot that was considerably less resonant and covered in poly but I never had any feedback issues with dirt on. The normal feedback from too much gain, not the squeally shit I get now.
twitter.com/skcwillie

MattK

Post by MattK »

Don't overlook the mounting - I often feel those spindly screws with a rattly spring on a flexy plastic ring are very lightweight ways to hold a pickup. You could try tucking a piece of foam underneath a la Jazzmasters.