NGD: Edwards E-LP-92CD/P LES PAUL UPDATE: PICS

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Dave
TOTALLY MODD

NGD: Edwards E-LP-92CD/P LES PAUL UPDATE: PICS

Post by Dave »

Pics to come later - but check the shortscale FB group for one if you really can't wait.

Okay had a while to muck about with the new Edwards. TL:DR It’s really very nice indeed.

Came delivered very well packaged in a semi-hard Kinsman case, inside TWO boxes with padding between. Cracked it open, went ‘WOW’ and then ‘HEY WAIT?’ I had asked the seller to be upfront about any and all dings to ensure I had ‘no surprises’ and he said it’s as new with no buckle rash. Two things struck me straight away: there is a screw missing from the truss cover, and there is a small straight crack in the finish on the front. Le sigh. That being said I think this kind of thing is par for the course with second hand guitars and gear and should always be held as LIKELY.

Anyway I’ve sat on the issue and decided neither are deal breakers given the smallness of the crack (which does not look like an impact crack) and the ease of getting a screw. The other reason this is not a deal breaker is because HOW VERY GOOD THIS THING PLAYS. I will mention the issues to him however – I think you should always check everything and make the buyer explicitly aware but I won’t be pushing for any recompense given the price already.

The Kinsman case is a nice plus, however it’s not really right for the guitar as the moulding inside do not account for the angle of the headstock – laid flat in side this pushes the neck off of the neck rest. Still that case wil be great for my non-les pauls. I do want a decent les paul hardcase now.

The guitar plays INCREDIBLY well. The set up gets my full approval for slinkiness. The ebony fretboard and fret finishing is a bender’s wet-dream (FNARR FNARR). It’s like the front of the neck is totally lubed – so smooooooth. Love it.

I had an initial disappointment in that I thought there was some bleed into the neck binding of black dye but on jabbing at it it proved to be surface and came right off.

The nut is set up perfectly. One thing though: if this ever needs a new nut the tech is going to have a hard time. The binding and the nut are unified by a thick poly covering which will come off when the nut is removed.

I’m unsure if this is the nature of a hard smooth fretboard of ebony but the acoustic string sounds are LOVELY. I can hear some harmonics that haven’t ever heard before - the sound is crystalline and pure. Looks like some very posh strings with thread binding near the ball end – maybe they are partly responsible? I hate myself for this but I can honestly say the strings ‘sing’ (BLAEUGH WASH MY MOUTH OUT)

The neck shape is quite interesting (a ’59 apparently). Ideally I’d prefer the early 50’s baseball bat a’la my Jim Deacon LP, however this is not much smaller. The weird thing is that it actually thickens again as it approaches the headstock to create a thick area around where the headstock joins – presumably to give strength to this notoriously weak spot. DAVE RIDICULOUS ANALOGY TIME: If the Jim Deacon is a nice pair of comfy shoes then this Edwards is a slick and sexy pair of black stilettos – not entirely comfortable but boy, do they make you feel sexy.

The pickups sound really good though the neck does its job better than the bridge which is just on the thin side for my taste. Rolling back the tone evens that out.

All the switches work as expected!

The overall impression: it looks and FEELS like a million dollars. Very very nice ineed. This guitar is James Bond in a TUX.

So the aim of getting a complete guitar requiring no project stuff is DONE. However….there are a few things I’d like to add to this lovely package:

1. A decent black and white strap that has the same classy vibe – preferably a stretchy one for comfort.

2. Some of these:

3. A nice les paul hard case – preferably black with white lining or white with black lining ;)

4. To truly complete the Custom Black Beauty replica it would be lovely to get some repro ‘Staple’ pickups BUT they are both spendy and require deeper routing…though I have found the following which drop right in a p90 route. As it stands if made an initial pup change I’d look to the bridge pup.

http://www.thornguitars.com/gt90pu-htm/gt90pu.htm

5. ONE OF THESE AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*amber*
Last edited by Dave on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Sounds like your really chuffed & an exquisite guitar but why the picture of your cock @ the bottom?
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Well excite for you Dave. I love Edwardses, right down to their slightly ridiculous "TOP OF THE MORNING TO YA SOR, SO IT IS SO IT IS" headstock logo.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Pics or it didn't happen.
James
Nutmeg

Re: NGD: Edwards E-LP-92CD/P LES PAUL

Post by James »

Dave wrote: *amber*
Shabba.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

:D @ this entire thead

Edwards LPs are awesome. They give Epiphones "Kyle's cousin Kyle" status by comparison.

Don't make me sustain too much please it gives me gahh-esss!
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

In all seriousness, that's a fantastic looking guitar. A black Les Paul always looks so much classier with ebony. I've seen the odd one of these for sale and Benecol mentioned this one to me, but I never feel 'at home' with P90s on a Gibson style guitar. I think it has something do with also not really liking classic Marshall crunch and typical guitar sounds of that type. Even still, I've been tempted because they look like such well made guitars for the money. I'd say you just picked up one of the best guitar bargains going at the moment - I can't think of much else that gets close to it for quality and price.

Looking forward to giving it a go once we sort out a suitable meetup.
Shabba.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Well I pulled open the cavities to take a look at the wriring and it all looks very neat was surprised to see large 'cts' style pots rather than the common smaller alpha type, ditto on the switch.

I think I've got to the bottom of the 'missing' truss cover screw: The truss cover is not the original - someone has clearly swapped it for a 'bell shape' gibson style truss cover which has a second screw hole near the nut however the edwards has no wood there. It's a common mod on the JP copies to do this swap. not sure If I'd prefer the original or not. Will write to the seller on the offchance he has it but I suspect that's how he got it.

Will do an pics tonight!
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

:shock: have you seen the price of these things new! Almost cheaper to buy a Gibson.

Just found a few discontinued SG type models ESP/Edwards have made and they is costly.
Mike wrote:All my LEDs are bright, the blues are bright as all hell.
mezzio13 wrote:JJ makes sweeps look easy and effortless. His nick name should be broom.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

There's an 09 model on eBay for 480 with a massive chip in the horn. 20 quid shipping
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Re: NGD: Edwards E-LP-92CD/P LES PAUL

Post by wwrrss »

Dave wrote:Pics to come later - but check the shortscale FB group for one if you really can't wait.
CAN'T! WHAT AN ELITIST!
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Dave where are these cunting photos?
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

EAT MY PHOTOS THOM

BIG PICTARS
► Show Spoiler
gUTSHOTS
► Show Spoiler
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Super lovely.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Very nice. I am well jel
lorez

Post by lorez »

Looks so sweet Dave.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

So so nice. If I were to ever have a les paul it'd be just like that.

Nice buy!
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

DAT HEADSTOCK BINDING.
George

Post by George »

Looks ace. Love p90 les Pauls
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

What a beauty. Really love it.