Timing Study

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Gabriel

Timing Study

Post by Gabriel »

So today I started working on this exercise, it builds up your picking ability along with your timing ability. You need a metronome to do this. If you don't have one you can get free ones for smart phones or use http://www.metronomeonline.com

I've been using the study to work on my fingerstyle playing as eventually my goal is to give up using a plectrum. You can also use this exercise to work on your picking accuracy.

Really hard exercise of the day:

Using the G Major Scale
------------------------------------------------------------2---3---5---
---------------------------------------------------3---5-----------------
--------------------------------------2---4---5-------------------------
-------------------------2---4---5--------------------------------------
------------2---3---5---------------------------------------------------
---3---5----------------------------------------------------------------

- Set metronome to 40bpm, we'll leave the metronome at this speed.
- Now play the G major scale at crotchet speed.
- Now play the scale emphasising the first crotchet beat in every bar.
- Then play the scale again emphasising the 2nd beat, then the 3rd etc...

- Now start counting crotchets at 80bpm with the click falling on beats 1 and 3, repeat the same rhythmic emphasis exercise.
- Then count 160bpm crotchets with the click falling on beat one, do the same rhythmic emphasis exercise.
- Then count 320bpm crotchets and let the click fall on the first beat of every other bar, do the same rhythmic emphasis exercise.
- Allow brain to then explode.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

When you set it at 40bpm does a click mark the start of each bar or each crotchet/quarter note?
Shabba.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

First of all it is a crotchet, then it becomes a minim, then a semi-breve and finally a breve. I'm not sure if that makes sense though.

Here is a brief video to try and clear it up:

[youtube][/youtube]
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Crotchets at 40bpm is going to mean one note every second and a third. Which is crazy slow.

Playing at that speed I think the only way I could do it would be counting at 160bpm and playing semibreves, treating the tock as the first beat of each bar.

EDIT: or is this the point of the exercise? That you be able to count at 40bpm without subdividing? Because I think I would find that more difficult that playing at 320bpm or whatever. I think I would have to work down to 40bpm in 10bpm increments from 70 or so.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

BacchusPaul wrote:Crotchets at 40bpm is going to mean one note every second and a third. Which is crazy slow.
Exactly, it's really hard to do, especially when you're focussing on the dynamics and how you strike the note. It's also very frustrating as it is very hard to judge when the beat is going to come.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

So you're not allowed to subdivide. Hmmm. I think I would start the exercise the other way round, pushing towards the trickier, slower tempo.

Cool. Must give it a try.
lorez

Post by lorez »

i've tried working up with metronomes doing 1 notes per click up to 160bpm and then back to 60 bpm 2 notes per click. This looks even more trickier and as you said mind blowing. Must give this a go
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »