So, what SS Guitar should I get?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

paul_

Post by paul_ »

No reissue Mustang is worth $900. Fender have stepped to ludicrous speed the past few years, hard timez innit.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Have you demo'd a MIM Jaguar classic player?
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

paul_ wrote:No reissue Mustang is worth $900. Fender have stepped to ludicrous speed the past few years, hard timez innit.
yo, ill put a humbucker and a bridge on my compstang and sell it for 900 to this kid. hold on now.

lulz i would make 500 bucks off it
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I'll +1 the AVRI Jag. I had one and the build was amazing. One of the highest quality guitars I've ever owned.

I own a Musicmaster as well. Also a good choice because of its simplicity. If you want versatility, go Jaguar.
crumpler

Post by crumpler »

robroe wrote:get a Used AVRI Jaguar.

see the thing is, you've already got really good quality guitars. every thing else you play is going to feel like shit after the "I GOT A NEW GUITAR" feeling wears off after a month or so.

i have owned at least 40 guitars in the last 10 years and the only one I play anymore is my AVRI Jaguar. Its been this way for 2 years now.

they come in any color you want and if you wait long, search the correct places you can get one for 800
I'm having trouble finding a used AVRI much under $1200 or $1300.
Japanese '66 RIs seem to command the $800 or even more.
They seem nice enough, but the general consensus is to hold out for a '62 AVRI (I've never played one.)

Do you guys mind sharing your $800 AVRI jag sources?
Or is it just a long search + lucky timing?

Thanks in advance.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

If you can sit there and say with a straight face that an AVRI Jaguar is actually worth $2299, then you can sit there and easily believe that the reissue Mustangs are worth $939.

And if you can say "BUT YOU CAN GET AVRI JAGS FOR $800," first of all, where? Second of all, I've bought '65 RI Mustangs for $400, and I've sold one on here for like less than that, I'm pretty sure. So that goes both ways. Plus, that was probably 2+ years ago, and the market is different even today.

I think they're worth the price new, plus, you could easily buy it for $799-839 new just by looking around, and that puts it at a price lower than the high end MIM Fenders like CP Jag HH and such. Maybe you just have a problem with just guitars being that expensive to begin with, but I think the Mustang prices are fair considering the rest of the Fender pricing structure.

I don't know why people bitch about the RI Mustang prices so much because IMO, out of the box, MG65 is probably the best non-sig offset Fender makes (IMO, but I really do). I have an MG73, and that's great, too, but I crave a stock MG65 so much these days. They're great guitars.

And if you like a slightly heavier Mustang with a humbucker, then the Cobain model isn't a waste of money. I don't, so I sold mine, but it's one of the best quality guitars I've ever seen. Sheesh, people will dismiss anything Kurt related around here.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I got my AVRI Jaguar off Guitar Center's used website for $700 and barely a mark on her with all the case candy. Guitar Center often misprice their used instruments and if you hunt you can find them. I got my 1967 Coronado II at Guitar Center for $800 ( they had it marked as a 1973 Coronado) and recently saw a Japanese Mustang for $250 (probably confused it with used Squier Mustang).

I was just there today and they had some good holiday deals. Two 50th Anniversary Jags (CAR and Burgundy Mist ) for $1400, Jaguar hollowbody for $1300 and AVRI Jazzmaster for $1300. The 50th Anniversary Jaguars sound fantastic but a little chunkier neck and closer trem plate than my AVRI Jaguar, but looked and played fantastic. I like the Jaguar hollowbody except for the Japanese switches.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Oh yeah, I've seen deals like that, too. Also, there are some guitars that are perpetually cursed on the resale market. The Japanese Jaguar HH is an example of a really great guitar that can often go for peanuts.

But often, if you want something exact, it's hard to wait for the right deal to open up. Like, if you want a red Compstang with matching headstock, and that's exactly what you need to have, then it doesn't really help that a $250 blue Mustang is available. I mean, I'd probably feel differently if I had no shortscale at all, but I say, if you need to, get a cheap one, then wait for the dream one to become available to you.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
moore65

Post by moore65 »

I've been checking GC's used section to see if I could get a cheap shortscale like the rest of you. What are the odds the store closest to me has a Jagstang? But it's $700 :(

They do have RI Mustangs all the time for $600, which doesn't sound too bad.
Bronco Bass
Squier Strat w/Hot Rails,
flea market nylon classical,
Ibanez bass w/Quarter Pounder X 2
Union Jack DC Epiphone LP
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

This. Search for Mustang on Guitar Center's used Website.

$849 for vintage sunburst Mustang in Amarillo, Texas. This what my Mullet-stang would have looked like stock. 3 tone sunburst on Mustang is so amazing.

Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

honeyiscool wrote:
And if you like a slightly heavier Mustang with a humbucker, then the Cobain model isn't a waste of money. I don't, so I sold mine, but it's one of the best quality guitars I've ever seen. Sheesh, people will dismiss anything Kurt related around here.
Yeah, I've owned a few fenders over the years, and this comes second only to an AVRI strat, which IMO is above all other non custom shop fenders.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

gutiar center will ship to you. like fucking anywhere.

i got my avri from Minnesota. no questions asked. they had it on the floor for one day before i called and bought it over the phone.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

after looking around for a bit i have come to a couple of conclusions.

1. i ripped off guitar center hard when i got mine.

or

2. the value of my jaguar has doubled since i got it 2 years ago
crumpler

Post by crumpler »

robroe wrote:after looking around for a bit i have come to a couple of conclusions.

or

Yeah dude.
I've wanted an AVRI jag for a while now, I set a $1000 limit for myself and have not found one....

Praying for a GC fuck up like yours might have been.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

[quote="taylornutt"]This what my Mullet-stang would have looked like stock. 3 tone sunburst on Mustang is so amazing.[/quote

Except it was a maplestang.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

SKC Willie wrote:
taylornutt wrote:This what my Mullet-stang would have looked like stock. 3 tone sunburst on Mustang is so amazing.[/quote

Except it was a maplestang.
That hurts to know that.

If you still have the neck and want to reunite it with the original body, let me know :)
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

crumpler wrote:
robroe wrote:after looking around for a bit i have come to a couple of conclusions.

or

Yeah dude.
I've wanted an AVRI jag for a while now, I set a $1000 limit for myself and have not found one....

Praying for a GC fuck up like yours might have been.
i paid the "sale" price from musicians friend for mine in 2005, so it was about $1200 or so. the bump up in all fenders that took place since then has been what's kept me from selling it when cash got tight a few times. i can convince myself to drop a G on a good instrument, but i just have not been able to cross into that $2k range yet. tax being nearly 10% here sucks.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

honeyiscool wrote:If you can sit there and say with a straight face that an AVRI Jaguar is actually worth $2299, then you can sit there and easily believe that the reissue Mustangs are worth $939.
I can do neither, because neither guitar are worth remotely that much. You nailed it with the latter part of your post: what I'm really saying is "fuck some Fender"... most of the time I played guitar $900 got you a US Strat with a hardshell case and a strap and card that says "omg thank you for licking our ass dude!"
Then all of a sudden overnight in 2009 during a horrible recession the likes of which most had never seen, bam: $500-$600 MIMs are all $950, $1000 US guitars are $2000+ and all Fender can talk about is going public. What a shitty, clueless attitude.

And how good they are as guitars means literally nothing on this subject. Fender Japan don't pick up guitars on the way out the factory and go "as good as many US Fenders I've played; better charge more."

WHY ARE WE STILL PAYIN SO MUCH FOR SNEAKERS WHEN YOU GOT 'EM MADE BY LITTLE SLAVE KIDS, WHAT ARE YOUR OVERHEADS?
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
mastermorya

Post by mastermorya »

I bought a VM Squier Jag in CAR two days ago, new, $280 out the door with tax. It's beautiful. Still tweaking the set up, shimmed the neck, waiting to see how the bridge works out. I had played a few others that I didn't like much but this one was solid and I couldn't pass it up. It sounds excellent. I had wanted to hold out for the AVRI, too, especially since it has been discontinued in place of the more expensive one, but I had the cash on hand and it just burned through my pocket. If you can find a store that's carrying them, there's no harm in trying out the VM just to see what you think if you are having a hard time finding the AVRI.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i didn't think anyone was suggesting there is any shame in playing a less expensive version of an instrument. everybody has at some point, and there are those who swear by them. $2400 (the full retail for an avri jag) is definitely out of the question for me, though you also won't find any outlets charging that. street price seems to be about $1600 new, or 33% higher than they were before the great hike of 2009. what something is "worth" is so subjective, but i do know my avri feels better and has a better fit&finish compared to my japanese hh jag which i love.