Warm Up

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Gabriel

Warm Up

Post by Gabriel »

Warming up is one of the most important elements of guitar practice. In order to avoid injury and to build up the various muscle groups needed for guitar playing, having a regular warm up routine is vital.

So today I decided to film my warm up as I went through it myself. I hope this is something you guys will find useful.

Annoyingly the fan on my computer goes a bit crazy when I'm filming, I need to pick up an external mic at some point to try and cut back on that.

[youtube][/youtube]
lorez

Post by lorez »

When I had lessons i realised how important a warm up was because I ended up wasting half the lesson on not being in the groove. I use the spider, some alternate picked scale runs and the a number of chord changes to loosen me up.

Great video and some thing we should all be conscious of
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Randy Rhoads used the chromatic patterns as a warm up, one finger per fret rule. Its probably the best way of building up to fluid scale runs as well.
Good vid Gabriel, something most folk overlook.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

It's a really useful thing to work on, it can be a bit of a pain as they sound awful but they really help to get your hands going before practicing or performing. I've got a couple more exercises that I plan to video over the next couple of days that are even more challenging - great when you've got some down time in a rehearsal or in the studio.
DasBeef

Post by DasBeef »

That's a great video and you seem to have really good technique. (*insert 'that's what she said joke here)
This is certainly something I'm going to work on. I was saying to a friend the other day that my playing has gotten a bit stale. I just don;t seem to be improving. My biggest problem is I keep playing the same old stuff, and have no idea what to play/practice to continue improving. I think that's why in the past few years my interest in guitars and effects has risen as I'm getting a bit bored of not getting any better at actually playing. Videos like these will help me improve. This is pretty simple stuff, but over my 17 year playing career, no one has really told me about it. I've only really had a handful of actual lessons, and learnt most stuff just by dicking around.

TL;DR
Thanks a lot for the video. Useful stuff.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I was discussing warm ups with some of the musicians I'm doing a show with, they all recommended that before you even touch your instrument you need to do body stretches. They all recommended the BAPAM resources:

http://www.bapam.org.uk/documents/1_Don ... le_web.pdf