I just bought a Wurlitzer Model 200 Electric Piano for $20.

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

I just bought a Wurlitzer Model 200 Electric Piano for $20.

Post by Nick »

(Because I thought the Title NEPD would sound dumb)

Anyway it pays to go to estate sales.

Everything works...the electronics have a minor occasional crackle and half of the keys stick a little, but I've opened the case up and all the springs are where they should be and the keys are moving right...I'm guessing it hasn't been used in a while and should open up with a little time and effort/cleaning.

Oh and included with the sale was an envelope containing the instructions, registration card, promotional ad, service slip, and the original receipt from 1972, from the original owner purchased from Drome Sound; a local music store that's still in business and that I frequent myself (I bought my Ibanez Blazer there 8 years ago). The original purchase price was $395. The address on the receipt matched the address of the estate sale. I've blurred out both name and address on the receipt because it's on the internet now.

PICTURES:

Come to think of it, the receipt has GREEN underlined, which might explain why the ad is with the documents. The lady asked for a GREEN piano, but she got a beige one. RIP lady...I'll take good care of your piano. :)
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

That's a really nice score.

I love the sound of these.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

Very jealous, have a sudden urge to play the logical song
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
lorez

Post by lorez »

Wow that looks amazing, I wish I had room for some old organ/electric piano gear.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Killer score! That's incredible... little jelly.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

woah
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

You utter, utter bastard. I've only managed to play an EP200 once and it was amazing. The sound from the internal speakers is FILTHY.

20 dollars. Fuck me sideways.

FUCK
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Thanks guys! I've tinkered for quite a bit and I'm probably going to have to pay for a pro to get the action right, I'm convinced it's the springs now and I'd probably screw it up. Either way, should still be well worth my while to fix.

lorez wrote:Wow that looks amazing, I wish I had room for some old organ/electric piano gear.
I know that feeling, and until recently a find like this would have to live with the legs off, either under my bed or standing sideways in the closet. Nevertheless my basement is starting to look a little cluttered with my Yamaha YC-30, Casio AP24, and now this thing..pretty sure I am officially DONE in terms of pianos and organs (but I still can't say no to cheap synths)
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

I'd love a fender Rhodes too.
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
paul_

Post by paul_ »

That's so cool. My bass player got a Hammond organ in working condition (needed oil) for $50 from an estate sale, just down the street from my house. Was so jealous. He needed my help to shift it though... I knew he'd come crawlin back.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

paul_ wrote:That's so cool. My bass player got a Hammond organ in working condition (needed oil) for $50 from an estate sale, just down the street from my house. Was so jealous. He needed my help to shift it though... I knew he'd come crawlin back.
which model? L100 or seomething?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

lol yeah, not a B3 or anything. I know it's an average deal for someone who just wants you to haul it away but they don't turn up too often round here and I'd still have taken it in a second, more a response to Nick's "pays to check" comment.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

After much debate I've decided to take the plunge and fix it myself, after watching these youtube vids:
[youtube][/youtube]

The work takes a lot of time and patience but isn't too technical, and the sense of accomplishment from fixing myself paired with being able to say it cost me no more than $20 I think will be worth it. (Well, plus $10 for some Naptha and Silicone lubricant)

So far so good....I've already lubed half the whip assemblies and they're moving a lot more freely now. Here's to hoping I can manage to get it all back together myself.
holyCATS1415

Post by holyCATS1415 »

I want one of those so bad, but they get more expensive every year. You sir are lucky.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I've got it all back together now (minus a few screws :? ). Cleaned all the keys, lubed all the action joints, sanded between keys in some spots, wood glued a split whip assembly (was intact still but who knows for how long). Have learned a lot about the workings of these things in the past 24 hours.

Now the action is beautiful, but I just have to get the dampers in order. They're too muted on the bass side, and too open on the treble. There doesn't seem to be much room for adjustment, and they're split down the middle. If I can't get the dampers working right I may have to bring it to a repair shop. At least all that stuff is on the top so I won't be paying someone $50 an hour to tear the whole thing down again and put it back together like I had to.

Only other problem I have is that the highest key is rubbing on the plastic shell when I have the top on. I guess it must have warped slightly over the years-not sure how I'm going to address that yet, but it's not like I play that key very often.
Dokterrock

Post by Dokterrock »

I got one of these for free (206a with built-in speaker) several years ago. During my move to California, a woman crashed into the side of my new van (3 weeks old) in South Dakota, totaling the van and damaging the EP pretty heavily. I had to leave it behind and have my grandparents sell what was left of it. I'll probably never get over it, but I'm glad to see someone else having good luck with one!!