"Gibson" Les Paul Custom

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

Thom wrote:
rps-10 wrote:Thom, Do you know the Tradetang username of the seller you got your guitar from?
Yeah no worries, his user name is "effects", this should link you to his guitars:
Linkety link
Good luck with the sales!
Thanks, had a look but that seller doesn't have the model I'm after.
However, more good news.

Hand over import charge will only be £33.77 for what I@ GASing after, as the seller I found has the guitar listed as US$267.54 with free shipping (and I'm assuming no insurance for calulation purposes)
So when entering figures into TEH DUTIES CALC

Total customs value: £168.86
- Duty: £0.00
- VAT: £33.77
Total import duty & taxes due: £33.77
Total landed cost: £202.64 at USD/GBP exchange rate of 0.631

Need to sell stuff now to fund this and them worry about smuggling in "another guitar!!" past the other half.
Mike wrote:All my LEDs are bright, the blues are bright as all hell.
mezzio13 wrote:JJ makes sweeps look easy and effortless. His nick name should be broom.
George

Post by George »

Very nice but don't forget the obligatory £8 admin charge from Parcelfarce!

Eurgh, so tempted to get a Les Paul now for teh rockz
rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

8 quid is fuckall when you're getting a clone of a £2.5K guitar for £200 odd :lol:
mezzio13 wrote:JJ makes sweeps look easy and effortless. His nick name should be broom.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Customs have a bad habit of just looking at the number and not whether or not it is dollars or pounds so watch out for that. I've been on the wrong end of that twice.
rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

Did you contest it? Get a refund.. or is it just suck it, as C&E are pretty hard ass peeps on times.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Quick update then for anyone still interested having had it 6 weeks or so.
Still like it a lot. Have set it up properly, with a couple of tweaks to the truss rod and setting bridge height and intonation it now plays really really well.

The gold hardware has to be the thinnest/cheapest gold plating :D Admitedly I've played it pretty much every day since I got it, but not like I have gigged it for years or anything, and the gold is coming off big time from the pickups and to a lesser extent the bridge saddles (see pic below). Not bothered about it, quite like that it doesn't have the completely shiney and new look any more. Will be changing out the pickups anyway, got a couple of spares at home that I'll pick up in Feb...am thinking will stick some zebras in there.

The pickups themselves are ok - easier to tell now I have an amp and not just using iRig. Neck is nice and smooth actually, bridge is fine, nothing special but not terrible either. They are low/medium output I would say - not got my mulitmeter so can't be sure, but they certainly aren't as hot as my usual choice of pups which are around or over 15k. Don't seem the lowest output I have had either so would hazard a guess at 9 - 10k, but that is speculation.

Took the pickguard off, as all LPs look better without imo and stuck on my last pin up for the final touch to bring the tonz. Still very happy with it, and am glad I went for it - not that I had much choice out here!
► Show Spoiler
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

Great score.

Love the pinup sticker.

also I loathe gold hardware, with the exception of when it starts to wear.. so cheap plating works in it's favour.
and really the cheap plating is the only true, quick glance, that you know tis a fake..
(i mean there are plenty others, but that much wear in 6 weeks.. )

glad you're digging it.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

The pickups on my Eastman are corroded like that, admittedly I play it for many hours a day, but it does bother me. I play on swapping the neck pickup out at some time down the line though so I'm not too bothered.
TheBurbz

Post by TheBurbz »

I've been pleasantly surprised by this thread. Could you hazard a guess at what kind of wood it might be made from, Thom?
Are you a Wizard?
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

TheBurbz wrote:Could you hazard a guess at what kind of wood it might be made from, Thom?
eBONARy
TheBurbz

Post by TheBurbz »

stewart wrote:
TheBurbz wrote:Could you hazard a guess at what kind of wood it might be made from, Thom?
eBONARy
That's some hard wood.

They have a Sloan signature:

LINK
Are you a Wizard?
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

stewart wrote:
eBONARy
:lol:

I think it's mahogany and the fretboard is definitely rosewood.
The guy in the video that Thomas posted on the previous page of the thread came to the same conclusion.
TheBurbz

Post by TheBurbz »

Thom, do you think that if you could've gotten an Epiphone custom for the same price you would've went for that or still would've bought this one?
Are you a Wizard?
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

TheBurbz wrote:Thom, do you think that if you could've gotten an Epiphone custom for the same price you would've went for that or still would've bought this one?
I think that I would still go for this one, I think it plays better than Epiphones I have experience of. An Epi LP is usually the standard lefty guitar that shops have in stock, and I've always thought that they were pretty crap when forced to try out a pedal/amp with one (I've also though this about several proper Gibsons too). Having said that, if I spent the time to set one up properly it would likely be much better.
For the price I can't fault this guitar and I don't think that you would be getting anything different/better with an Epiphone, maybe with the exception of the gold plating.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

I want this one.

Is there any way to easily search through the list without just browsing through the endless pages?
Shabba.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Awesome guitar!
ImageImage
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

James wrote:I want this one.

Is there any way to easily search through the list without just browsing through the endless pages?
Thats ace, looks like a copy on an Eastman ar610. Have you got a link?
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Shabba.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

James wrote:Is there any way to easily search through the list without just browsing through the endless pages?
Not as far as I could tell. You can search on key words, but can't be sure that they are all titled properly.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Brandon W wrote:you elites.