Irig midi or any other iPad/phone midi connector

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

lorez

Irig midi or any other iPad/phone midi connector

Post by lorez »

I just wondered if anyone have used the irig midi connector or any other connector like the camera adapter? I'm looking to connect moog animoog and other apps to a keyboard controller as well as potentially the apps output to a daw. So thoughts gratefully received
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Camera connector with the ipad+midibridge app should do you just fine as long as your midi keys don't draw too much power/has it's own power supply. (the camera connector doesn't work with iphone 4/4s.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Thomas wrote:Camera connector with the ipad+midibridge app should do you just fine as long as your midi keys don't draw too much power/has it's own power supply. (the camera connector doesn't work with iphone 4/4s.
Ok, seems like the camera connector won't be suitable though if it doesn't work with iphone4s. The irig midi can also be had for not more than the connector as well I see and also has midi through. Thanks Thomas for the info
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yeah I have a 4s and it doesn't work, there's no Cydia fix for it yet either. The camera connector is worth it for ipad users tho, plus you can buy a 3rd party one that works fine for £3 rather than the £25 Apple one.

I also had a go of the Akai Synthstation 25, the iphone 4 and 4s aren't compatible with it (doesn't physically fit in the dock) Akai have put a new sticker on the box taking them off the compatibility list because people were damaging their phones trying to jam them in. It also feels like a toy and the keys are way too fiddly.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Thomas wrote:Yeah I have a 4s and it doesn't work, there's no Cydia fix for it yet either. The camera connector is worth it for ipad users tho, plus you can buy a 3rd party one that works fine for £3 rather than the £25 Apple one.

I also had a go of the Akai Synthstation 25, the iphone 4 and 4s aren't compatible with it (doesn't physically fit in the dock) Akai have put a new sticker on the box taking them off the compatibility list because people were damaging their phones trying to jam them in. It also feels like a toy and the keys are way too fiddly.
i think the irig for 38 quid might be the answer then, especially with the thru option. Also, it looks like moog have done a recent update to animoog for midi control which is the main thing I want to use at the moment but also looking at the Korg apps it could be useful as well. The other thing I need to work out is the best way to record from my iphone/pad into my daw. Garageband on them can only do so much ...
lorez

Post by lorez »

Ordered the irig midi, with animoogs new midi controller update it should be pretty sweet. Can't wait to get it and start messing with animoog, daw and other midi devices soon
lorez

Post by lorez »

It arrived today so tonight was spent tring it out. A few teething troubles with some apps but it eventually worked with the evolution midi controller. Transforms animoog in my eyes. One app I didn't get working tonight was the korg ims-20 one but that's because I think it takes more routing on the midi front. Shame as its a brilliant app.

Next step, getting them recording in my daw and also trying the animoog as a controller for other synths