ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Amp switching relay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenCustom24

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Amp switching relay Reply with quote

Hey! So I'm considering running 2 different amps together in stereo. Both are 2 channels with single button footswitches, but I know I can't just use a Y cable to connect them. I use the footswitch output on my TC G System to switch channels currently and I've looked into it and everyone says that a relay box needs to be added to operate both amps at once, but doesn't say where to get one or anything. I've looked a lot and can't seem to find any readily available.

Anyone know of anywhere I can get one or someone (even from the forums here) who might be able to custom build one for me at a reasonable price?
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you want it to switch channels at the same time on both amps? I'm thinking a y cable will work, it's a simple on-off switch, in parallel it should be the same if the footswitches are the same on both amps.

The only problem is that the clean and dirty channels could be reversed on the footswitch functions. In any case, this is something that can very easily be built.
GreenCustom24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. That's exactly what I wanna do. I can try the Y cable and see. Just waiting on the second amp to come in. Damn shipping delays...
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to get a mono to 2 mono y-cable. A stereo to 2 mono definitely won't work. A stereo to two stereo jacks should also work.

I assume the footswitches are just simple mono jacks.
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Y-cable seems like a bad idea, as you'd be effectively connecting the 2 amps together; don't do this.

Presuming they're just basic mono cable footswitches, you could easily make a single footswitch with 2 jacks, an enclosure and a DPDT footswitch switch.

All these basic amp footswitches do is connect/disconnect the ground and the hot parts of the lead, but it's worth checking that existing footswitches don't have any resistors in there too (aside from any resistors connected to a LED or something).

So if it's straight-up basic, you can keep both 'footswitch' circuits isolated in a DPDT footswitch like so:

The two wires on AMP1 side go to a mono jack (doesn't matter which way you wire 'em), the other 2 wires for AMP2 go to another jack.

If one of your amps is switching to the wrong channel (so you've got DIRTY on one and CLEAN on the other), just move one of the connections from the bottom terminals (5 or 6 in that diagram) to the top (1 or 2).
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doog wrote:
If one of your amps is switching to the wrong channel (so you've got DIRTY on one and CLEAN on the other), just move one of the connections from the bottom terminals (5 or 6 in that diagram) to the top (1 or 2).

In this scenario, couldn't you just flick the switch on one of the amp itself? All the footswitch is doing is flicking those switches anyway, or am I missing something.
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacchus wrote:
Doog wrote:

In this scenario, couldn't you just flick the switch on one of the amp itself? All the footswitch is doing is flicking those switches anyway, or am I missing something.

Hmm, I've never had an amp that worked like that.. I think the amp controls generally comes before the footswitch circuit in series.
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacchus wrote:
Doog wrote:

That could be some kind of relay in the amp, it might also need a momentary switch. I don't think this is very common.
NickS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing OP wants to use the output from his TC G-System so he can just select his patch on the G-System and it will automatically switch channel on both amps along with engaging whatever effect. (The Behringer FCB1010 MIDI pedal has two relay outs you can program for each preset).
NickS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bit.ly/2KmFZTF would run off a 9v (pedal) PSU. Plastic project box, jack sockets, stripboard, power socket and you're there.
GreenCustom24

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickS wrote:
I'm guessing OP wants to use the output from his TC G-System so he can just select his patch on the G-System and it will automatically switch channel on both amps along with engaging whatever effect. (The Behringer FCB1010 MIDI pedal has two relay outs you can program for each preset).

Indeed! That's exactly what I want to do. The G System has 2 footswitch outputs but they unfortunately strictly operate independently...

I'll check out the link you posted. Thanks!

I'm atrocious at wiring so I might have to commission someone... Ha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: