ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Vintage stang trem on a MIJ RI ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulletbill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Vintage stang trem on a MIJ RI ? Reply with quote

I had my mustang set up at the end of last year. It's one of the FSR compstangs they sent over to Europe around the time everyone was in a panic that they were shutting down Fender Japan or something. I think it's basically an MG73 model, though it didn't say that anywhere on the Thomann listing when I ordered it.

Anyway, when I first had it set up, I wanted the tremolo to float but the best my tech could do was get it to dive about 2 steps (so, from E down to D). He's good, I know he's good, he has a fantastic rep and he 'gets' Mustangs and offsets, unlike some techs I've known in the past.

The past week, I asked him to shield and ground everything because I was getting a popping noise with this guitar. I also asked to see if he could get me more movement in the tremolo, more downward play and a bit of upward movement if possible. He says it can't be done on this MIJ tremolo unit, the baseplate is too soft, the springs can't cope with my 11-54 strings, it's just not as good as a vintage unit. He knocked money off the shielding/setup job because he wasn't happy with how it was left and if I can get a vintage unit, he'll install it for free. He's a great guy and I really admire his knowledge and patience with me hanging around his shop way more than I ought to, given how little I spend there.

So as it stands, I have a Mustang that actually plays nicer than it ever has and I have a bit of downward play on the trem that basically returns to pitch, but it goes to shit if you pull it up. A vintage unit may or may not be any better, and it's a 100-120 gamble to find out, given the current state of our currency. I was thinking about this in the past and units seemed to be a good chunk cheaper on eBay so it could just be bad timing in terms of currency prices or whatever but I thought it might be useful to get the thoughts of the Shortscale experts.

I don't really want to lock the trem. If Ty Segall/Charles Moothart/MadMike can wrangle the stang whammy, I want to as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: