ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Gibson KG-2A Kalamazoo (Mustang Fake?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vojtasTS29

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Gibson KG-2A Kalamazoo (Mustang Fake?) Reply with quote

Wtf... Somebody selling this http://hudebnibazar.cz/gibson-kalamazoo-kg-2a-rok-1966/ID949384/ for a really nice price on the czech used instruments website. Didn't know gibson made Cheap Japanese looking Fender Mustang Fakes Very Happy
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're American and too cheap to say "Gibson". They also made SG and basses in that series, 1 and 2 pickup versions, also vibrato and stop-tail.
speedfish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Cool

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
paul_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a good price for the guitar itself, in my opinion; these have always been laughably bad when I've tried one in a shop, but by 1967 they shared all hardware/electronics with the SG-shaped Melody Maker. Most of their current day value actually lies in that (one of those SGs will regularly run you over $1000 on eBay regardless of condition, while the Kalamazoos regularly go for less than $400... in terms of vintage Gibson it's a fairly cost-effective restoration tactic).

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"

Last edited by paul_ on Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
vojtasTS29

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think SG is the worst looking guitar ever made, but that thing with the white pickguard and covered pickups actually looks very nice Smile Is that yours? I like that. Also thx for the interesting info Smile
paul_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own either of those guitars but I did recently buy a '67 SG MM like that, albeit with the paint stripped off and I had to put the hardware back to [reissue] stock from the obligatory Schaller tuners/Badass bridge that every cheapo "players" Gibson got in the '70s.

I'm sorry to hear you don't like SGs, I hope everything else is ok Crying or Very sad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"

Last edited by paul_ on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
vojtasTS29

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok Smile Cool guitar nonetheless.
EDIT.
Didn't see the previous post or something... whatever. About me and SG... I kinda think that the classic SG pickguard, both the large and small one, especcialy in black make the guitar, along with the symetric short horbs look really extremely agressive and mean, kind of B.C. Ritchy Very Happy And i don't like that. But i actually like the melody maker/kalamazoo. The white and very rounded pickguard with covered rounded pickups kinda soften out the shape. Those look kinda kool Smile
HNB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh I like mine. Smile Different strokes.
vojtasTS29

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess everybody has a different taste in guitars. Smile i didn't say there is anything wrong with the sg. I probably didn't yet grow into it Smile
HNB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean my Kalamazoo. I also have an SG, but it is an Epi one. I also have an old Japanese bolt on that is SG shaped sort of. It is branded as a "Pan."
paul_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "sorry you don't like SGs" thing was totally meant to be a joke. I was re-reading the whole thread sort of half paying attention and when I got to that line that I posted I went "damn kid, take it easy"

robertOG wrote:
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also interesting the Kalamazoo version didn't have the carving the Gibson version did (they also made them in white and red, I just found this pic first):

I think this one is not 100% original, because the of missing extra knobs and pickup selector.
sunshiner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalamazoo's bodies were made of MDF. I don't think it affects sound at all, but it is just one of the reasons why they cost less than $1000 today
speedfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vojtasTS29 wrote:
I guess everybody has a different taste in guitars. Smile i didn't say there is anything wrong with the sg. I probably didn't yet grow into it Smile

Cool thing about SG's is that your thumb can hang over the top of the neck and you can slide all the way up to the 22nd fret without changing your hand position. Can't do that with bolt on necks the heel always gets in the way. Firebird offers similar access, but slightly chunkier at the heel or maybe it's the upper bout that is slightly limiting.

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: