ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

just bought a Fender Vaporizer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: just bought a Fender Vaporizer. Reply with quote

Discontinued clearance from a local independent dealer for $230.

So my new gigging rig cost me less than $500 (minus pedals). Quite proud of what I did for that budget. I've been after a good dynamic clean live tone but most of the venues I play are smallish yet still mic amps, leading to sound guys usually asking me to turn down to where the amp hasn't quite broken through. Went from a Twin to a Deluxe reverb and still had issues. This one gets good light breakup tone at lower volumes, I don't forsee the same issues with this.

My only complaints are that as a 2x10 it's a little heavier than it'd be as a 1x12, and that the reverb is before the preamp stage, so the louder you turn up the volume the less present the reverb is. I would have thought the included footswitch would turn reverb on and off, but instead it bypasses the volume and tone pots, hence "VAPORIZER". The volume difference makes this a bit impractical unless you're already using a high output guitar and cranking it in the first place.
singlepup

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sweet. I would rock that set up. Is the Vaporizer heavier than the Deluxe?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's apprently 5 lbs lighter than the DR (37 vs 42) though the vape is slightly wider and deeper making it feel pretty similar.

I do think the tubes and speakers could be upgraded at some point, and with 10" speakers and only 4 tubes to mess with it shouldn't cost much to fill out some low end and get some more clean headroom out of it. There's a long thread on tdpri about these amps so much of the trial and error has already been done.

I think much of the reason these aren't sold anymore is because of the reverb and "vaporizer" switch issues. It definitely has gimmicks but more than that this feels much closer every 60's catalog amp I've played than to anything modern-it's extremely touch sensitive. The mustang sounds good through it but until I swap out the pickups I'll primarily use my TV Jones equipped Ovation through it.
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been fantasizing about buying one of these for ages. Feels kinda gross to 90% be interested in something because of the aesthetics, but cheap surfy tube amps, yknow..

Wonder if I could 1x12 it..
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually connected it to the cab of my deluxe to see how a 112 would sound but the celestion v70 was way bright with it, which now has me questioning if that speaker is right for me even in the amp it's in. It did open it up a lot though compared to the cheap chinese speakers that it comes with though. There is a ton of room in the cab, you could certainly fit a 12" speaker in there, don't know if you'd be replacing the panel or just plan on cutting one of the holes bigger and mounting off center. Would definitely make it a lighter amp too. I hear you on the aesthetics but I must say, it looks almost exactly how it sounds.
Ankhanu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. That's a pretty cool set up.

Nick wrote:
I think much of the reason these aren't sold anymore is because of the reverb and "vaporizer" switch issues.

Nah, it's just part of the Pawn Shop series; it was slated for one year of production.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I realized that too, kind of a shame cause there's been some nifty models in that range. The Ramparte can be had pretty cheap now as well, can't say I haven't thought about that one too.
Ankhanu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there have certainly been a couple in the line that struck my fancy... but my pocket said no :/

Donate to Ankhanu Press
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE FOOTSWITCH BYPASSES THE VOLUME AND TONE. That's dank as fuck.

George wrote:
Yeah, thickness, nut
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so hilariously unusable, proper 60s-style feature there.
jagsonic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These amps are so cool. I would have bought one if i won't own an excelsior which i really like.... pawn shop amps are so great. They sound really great and are amps with character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: