ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Guitar Center is selling $399 Night Train 1x12 combos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
honeyiscool

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Guitar Center is selling $399 Night Train 1x12 combos. Reply with quote

These are $399 new, good deal. And these are the weird vintage meet modern looking brown grill cloth versions that look like shrunken versions of an AC15 where the logo is the only thing that isn't shrunken. I think this deal is going on for like two more days, according to a sticker I saw at Guitar Center.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Night-Train-NT15C1-CL-1x12-Classic-Limited-Edition-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110311933-i3737360.gc

I'm gonna guess that these are probably going out of production. Some resellers are selling NT15C1 (the normal black kind) for $499 now. I traded in some gear the other day to get the NT15C1-CL from Guitar Center. I liked it quite a bit, even despite the fact that it's gotten relatively tepid response from some reviewers. But you can't think of it like a pocket AC15, because it's not. It's got its own voice, but more than anything, it's all about the size. This amp is the same size as or smaller than some 5 watt amps, comes with a good speaker (Celestion G12M Greenback), and while its regular sale price of $699 is a bit rich, at $399, it's an absolute deal. It's the size of a practice amp and loud enough to gig with and has a good, distinctive voice.

After trying my first NT15C1-CL for a while, I decided to get another one. At $399, why not get myself a backup that can also be my practice amp with its size and good low volume crunch? If anything, it makes more sense than my AC4C1, which I love but it doesn't work at a full band rehearsal with drums, whereas a NT15C1 should be able to do anything from late night doodling to local gigs, so really, it's probably not going to be my primary amp (still Vox Tony Bruno 18W 1x12"), but it will probably be my "everything else" amp, and $399 is the right price for that. By the way, if you use it as your living room amp, you're gonna love the fact that the power cable in goes vertically, so it never sticks out the back, so you can leave it flush against a wall plugged in when you're not using it. These things add up.

I had a first generation Night Train head a while ago with its matching cab, and I like this second generation Night Train quite a bit more. The useless half power mode is gone and I don't know, the new version just seems so much easier to dial in. The two channels are really easy to use, and the master volume is quite good, as in I can get good jangle at a bedroom volume. Tone stack is better, too. Before, using the Thick setting meant giving up tone controls, but the Girth (tee hee) channel sounds a lot like the old Thick switch butdoesn't take my control away. I don't really need no stinking Standby switch, but the digital reverb is a nice touch. I think having 3 preamp tubes (1st generation only had 2) gives you a lot more flexibility. With the two wildly different sounding channels which are easy to match in volume, I have the ability to go into a rehearsal with this tiny amp pretty casually and just play straight to the amp, not worry about pedals, and still get a variety of tones and a decent reverb. It's useful for when I'm trying to be minimal (i.e. lazy).

Not only that, the speaker sounds better than on the first generation Night Train cabinet I had, which used the same speaker. I think it's because the old cabs were only 8 1/4" deep and now it's a full 10 1/4" deep, so for a small size and weight gain, we get something like 25% more cab volume. That little difference seems to translate in much bigger tone. I don't know how else to explain it, but I've always noticed that the best 1x12" cabs are a bit larger than necessary, like my Vox TB18C1, which is still my primary amp.

I've already done some musical chairs with the speakers, so I have Alnico speakers in my Night Train combos, but it sounded very good with the stock Greenback speakers. Sweetwater says they have G12H Anniversary speakers, by the way, but they lie, they don't. I actually think the G12H Anniversary speakers would probably be better than the G12M speakers because I think G12H > G12M in a 1x12", but your NT15C1 has G12M speakers. Just check the Vox website.
singlepup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would totally buy one if I were stateside. I've been researching "small, gig-worthy" amp for months.
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Guitar Center is selling $399 Night Train 1x12 combos. Reply with quote

honeyiscool wrote:
Not only that, the speaker sounds better than on the first generation Night Train cabinet I had, which used the same speaker. I think it's because the old cabs were only 8 1/4" deep and now it's a full 10 1/4" deep, so for a small size and weight gain, we get something like 25% more cab volume. That little difference seems to translate in much bigger tone. I don't know how else to explain it, but I've always noticed that the best 1x12" cabs are a bit larger than necessary, like my Vox TB18C1, which is still my primary amp.

I have the original NightTrain cab, not the head, but it's a weird cab. I didn't think the Greenback sounded that good in it, the high end crapped out, the low end wasn't that great, and the mids sounded too scooped in that cab, although it's not a bad speaker in other cabs. Swapped with a different kind of speaker, not bad, but still I don't think it was the best cab by itself, although not bad in combination with another 12" cab that puts out more bass. Maybe if it wasn't semi-opened back, I don't know.

More recently I got the Lil' Night Train cab, also recently discontinued, much better by itself, great for a practice amp, not very loud though.
honeyiscool

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on that, I felt the same about the Greenback in the original NT cab. That said, it was simply the most affordable cab you could get with a decent speaker in it, and it was so portable that I tried to make it work with various speakers before I gave up on it. I think the G12M with those dimensions just didn't work. It's not that it sounded bad, it's just that it didn't sound as good as it could have.

I think the added cab volume really helps with bass response.
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just played one of the new ones today. Sounded really good, would make a good cab for metal I guess. The Greenback sounds perfect in it too. Big and bulky as well.
honeyiscool

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All relative, though. It's still tiny in the big scheme of things. Smile

I was surprised by how much I liked the Greenback. That said, I had an Alnico Blue and a Scumnico that needed homes, so I only kept the Greenback as a backup, but they made it sound much better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1