ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

NGD - 1970 Gibson SG Special
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul - I just dug out an Epiphone one from my parts box, and it is pretty similar, and as you say, into aged for a plain G. Once I've got myself some fret files, I'll put some grooves in that.

Regarding the frets, yes it does feel like a bit of a fretless wonder. Pretty much buzz free though, as expected, the tech at the shop is pretty good - he built that Jag/Strat hybrid that John Squire had.

I wish I had seen your message before I restrung it, I could have whipped the pickguard off.
NickD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
Side note: if you get the guard off this thing in the near future can you take pics of the mounting bars/brackets for the soapbars that attaches them to the pickguard? I'm trying to make some because SGs are so thin at the bottom of their routes and I'm scared to trad-mount two soapbars in it after routing it EVEN MORE.

Curiosity got the better of me, I didn't take it completely off but I had a peek under there. The pickups are attached to what are basically extended baseplates, which are then screwed to the guard in the same way as strat pickups are.
paul_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, appreciate the update... Mojo parts used to sell unnecessarily fancy nickel-plated brass reissues of the brackets, which is kind of funny, but as I didn't have a big pickguard SG at the time I just skimmed right over it. Thinking about it more yesterday and having a light googlin', I guess there is a well-known pic of the reissue "Classic" versions. I was also on a well-known pickguard site (can't remember which) where they offer the option of height-adjustment holes or none for their big SG guards, depending on if you can source the brackets or don't want to bother.

That's so cool about your local guy being behind the John Squire thing, if you posted about this before I definitely missed it. (edit- or you bought it from the shop where he works... whatever STILL COOL)

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: