ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

1965 Mustang Finished Pg. 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HNB

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: 1965 Mustang Finished Pg. 3 Reply with quote

Just paid for this. I am excited to see it in person from Panoramic. The neck looks nice and worn in. I am thinking I will do an aged white finish to the body. Not custard yellow, but a bit more yellowed than Olympic white is normally. I am also going to do the arctic white base coat so when I wetsand the finish, I will have some areas where my arm and hand hit that will look worn through. I am NOT going to do any relic work beyond that. No scratches or dents to be made, so no worries there. Just going to have a nice eggshell satin finish with some fun coloring.

14114752339_0ca7847877_c by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

14114896367_d7d38815b2_c by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

14278312126_ecafb9ec1a_c by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

14301442905_29cf3a843a_c by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

14321614433_bfb34b1bbe_c by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Basically something similar to how I did the paint on my Cyclone. (Which I still have and love that finish. No gloss at all, but feels super comfy and worn in.)

DSC05142 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

DSC05144 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Last edited by HNB on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
dots
BADmin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both of those look bad ass.

jcyphe wrote:
But the people need that wiggle stick.
taylornutt

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't refinish that. Looks amazing as is. I love that wood grain.
NickD

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, it looks like a great project - good price too, I was tempted by the 69 body he is selling.

I've just done a Duo Sonic in an off white colour - looks a lot like aged oly white.
HNB

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That body is a killer price. I agree. Was tempted with that as well. If the whole body was the same color wood, I would probably leave it alone, but that odd chunk that is a different color just makes me want to give it a paint job. Smile I will of course look at it when it arrives though. I had intended to paint my vintage stripped Jag, but changed my mind when it came in. Never know.
leicaboss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nice, saw this over at OSG, I actually wanted this guitar Sad
HNB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leicaboss wrote:
So nice, saw this over at OSG, I actually wanted this guitar Sad

Aww... should have jumped on it! I think I waited almost a whole day before I pulled the trigger. Smile
HNB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it today. Looks great. Definitely going to paint it. The wood is pretty boring. (Not surprising with poplar. It isn't the fanciest looking wood out there, but it works well. Smile) It will look sexy aged white.

IMG_7167 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_7168 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_7169 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_7170 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_7171 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

FLAME

IMG_7173 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_7174 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_7175 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
Awstin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't paint it metallic green. I feel like all the crazy stuff you do and claim to "love" you sell off quickly. How about one of the three vintage colors? Daphne Blue or Dakota red would be best and would keep the vintage guard in style. Either way it is up to you. Have fun with it and enjoy.
HNB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naw, no metallic. The body had too many dents and dings I would need to fill and that isn't something I am interested in with this one. I am pretty sure Mustangs came in white in 1965 and that has been my plan. Smile

I have sold about as many of my projects as you have. (Maybe less actually. Smile) I like working on a guitar. If I get it done and the trill isn't there anymore, I sell or trade it for something new. I enjoy working on stuff. I am surprised to get a comment like that for you since you often do the same thing.
Awstin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HNB wrote:
Naw, no metallic. The body had too many dents and dings I would need to fill and that isn't something I am interested in with this one. I am pretty sure Mustangs came in white in 1965 and that has been my plan. Smile

I have sold about as many of my projects as you have. (Maybe less actually. Smile) I like working on a guitar. If I get it done and the trill isn't there anymore, I sell or trade it for something new. I enjoy working on stuff. I am surprised to get a comment like that for you since you often do the same thing.

I was stating red or blue so you could use the original guard and still have the original look. They didn't have a white guarded white stang haha. But here is where spitire tort would come in to play nicely.

And yeah. i didn't say i didn't don't do the same thing haha. I have done it with quite a few of my projects. I was only suggesting it because I hate having a guitar i did so much work on and putting so much money in and then later on down the road think what a waste it was. I feel like we are in the same boat there quite often lol. Except you have a lot more moeney to spend than I do Razz So maybe it doesn't matter as much to you.
HNB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought white with the white pearl and pickups would look cool. Kind of like a Marr-Stang. Smile

I don't think any of my projects have been a money put really. I normally trade them for the same value I put in or sell them for what money I put in. I don't normally get any money for labor or anything, but I enjoy the work.

If you mean the LPB Jaguar I just did, Mark asked me to finish it for him in that color. I didn't do the project for myself and hand it over to him. He asked me to do the project in exchange for the three guards. Smile
HNB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I get way more in a trade also. I traded my stock black Japanese Jazzmaster for that rare vintage Italian tonemaster. A lot of what I sold recently were stock guitars like my white Jazzy, my black Danelectro, etc. the last project I sold was that duo project I got from you. That one was fine, but the vintage body and the modern neck made setting the action really hard and it just frustrated me too much once I finally got it right.

Like you have experienced, sometimes you have an idea in your head and you do it. Sometimes it turns out awesome and other times it isn't a good fit for you and you are ready to do something else. Very Happy
HNB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took her all apart today. Was pretty fun. I like seeing the guts of an old guitar.

IMG_2031 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Sadly I won't get to use the stock tremolo. I will keep it, but one leg is screwed all the way in and frozen in there. I tried using heat, oil, etc, nothing could get it to budge, so I ordered a '65 reissue tremolo. I will keep the original of course.

IMG_2032 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2033 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Spend like four hours trying to get that damn thing to budge....

IMG_2034 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

More parts.

IMG_2035 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2036 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2037 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2038 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2040 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2042 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2043 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2044 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2045 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2046 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

The Japanese pickguard I have from my comp Mustang is basically the same size. The bridge pickup seemed to be the only thing off.

IMG_2047 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2048 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2049 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2050 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2051 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

I happened to have plates for under the pickups for some reason so I put those in.

IMG_2052 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2053 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2054 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2055 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

On the right is the brighter white I will spray first. I will spray the left white which is more creme over it. When I sand, I will sand through some places showing the lighter white underneath to give it a worn in look. I am taping the guts off so that the original red paint will still be in there. Smile

IMG_2057 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
HNB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my first round of white after prepping the body. I didn't fill all the dents and such. I plan for it to look it's age anyways and it earned all those things through its life. First I am spraying "Arctic White" and then I will spray "Stone White" over it. The idea is I will sand through the Stone White which looks more aged showing the brighter white underneath. Should help it look old and worn.

IMG_7186 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_7187 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_7188 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_7189 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_7190 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_7191 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_7194 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_7192 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_7195 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
Awstin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!
HNB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the bright white done. I will start spraying the off white in the morning. Smile
paul_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the unfilled white, cool idea about making it look it's age (the Cyclone is awesome btw, how a '58 Cyclone would look today). Are you gonna change the colour scheme of the plastics at all like black pickups or a tort guard or leave that as is? Was the guard you got with it original?

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
HNB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to keep it all white for now. The guard is the stock one. As far as I can tell the only thing not original is the pickups. It didn't have all the shielding plates, so I added some. I think a whiteout will be really cool. Mother of toilette seat for the win!

I was really happy with the cyclone. It gave me the urge and confidence to do this one in a similar, but different, way. I am going to use different whites this time to get a less custard final color. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Will likely be more subtitle, but time will tell. Smile
Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try evening out the posts on the trem before loosening? My vintage one was very similar when I got it, wouldn't budge at all until I screwed in the other side a bit then loosened them a little bit at a time, alternating sides.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: