ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

replacing jack sockets in strat and tele.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Progrockabuse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: replacing jack sockets in strat and tele. Reply with quote

hey all, need some advice

i dont mistreat my guitars, i've looked after them and made sure there in fine fettle.

thought recently i've been having issues with the jack sockets on both my strat and tele. they make crackles and cut out sometimes when the cable is moved. a couple of times my tele has cut out at a gig and thought it was the cable.

i can usual rectify this by bending the prongs(?) inside the socket to improve the contact but it usually comes back after a while. not the ideal situation.

i am shit at soldering, so wondered if it the kinda of thing i could get a local guitar shop to fix cheaply? maybe upgrade the sockets to something better quality?

A Fender into a cranked amp = life goals
NickS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, Rob, anyone with soldering skills should be able to wire you in some new sockets. Make sure they use a socket on the nut, not pliers.
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend you watch a 2 minute Youtube video, become handy with the soldering iron and be able to fix stuff yourself. Positive attitude, bud; don't pay someone 25 quid to do something you can 100% do yourself.

I'm not an AMAZING solderer, but made a few mic cables whilst on tour, thus saving the show. I also haven't bought a guitar cable in 6 years.

benecol
Best Poster 2010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also: life is too short for the three dimensional chess involved in fitting a traditional tele socket: electrosocket that shit.

(And Rob, even I can solder to an acceptable standard - YOU CAN DO IT).
Progrockabuse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kinda soldering iron should i get? the one i have has a massive flat tip (ooo er!)

shortscale, give me a soldering bootcamp!

A Fender into a cranked amp = life goals
NickS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/csk100-universal-soldering-kit
I have a temperature-controlled solder station but I also have one of the above. The gun is handy for soldering wires to the cases of pots and brass plates, the iron should do most other stuff. Basic soldering skills - there must be dozens of videos on YouTube. It's down to keeping your iron tip clean (wipe on the damp sponge) and tinned, and making sure the surfaces to be joined are clean and tinned and up to temperature so that the solder wets the surfaces rather than sitting on them.
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The soldering iron you have is probably fine for what you're going to use it for, you can use a sponge for washing dishes for the tip, just pour a bit of water on it to dampen it before you clean the tip. Tin the tip first by applying a bit of solder.

You'll need a solder sucking tool for desoldering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: