ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Newmember project.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekalks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Newmember project. Reply with quote

Hi. I 'm new to this forum and starting up a Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic project.
I have a 1966 Musicmaster II that I modified about 25 years ago with a Seymour Duncan JB in the Bridge and a Hotrails in the neck. I absolutely love the neck on my Musicmaster II and was hoping to accomplish some similar vibe in the Duo sonic. I hace been looking around for quite some time to build a custom 24 inch scale Dinky or full sized body superstrat, but when I came across the Duo Sonic for $150.00 on the Best Buy website i couldn't resist. I haven't received the guitar as of yet.
Casual_Reader

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Newmember project. Reply with quote

ekalks wrote:
...but when I came across the Duo Sonic for $150.00 on the Best Buy website i couldn't resist.

I saw those... fun. I was tempted.

take lots of pics as you go. Very Happy
ekalks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: I just received the Duo Sonic. Reply with quote

I just received the Duo sonic. My first impressions are that this is a solid feeling guitar especially when comparing it to my 1966 Musicmaster II. It has a suprisingly nice neck. The guitar has a nice tone unplugged. It has a ring or resonance to it possibly due to the control cavity along with the wood. It's a little bit thicker than my Musicmaster, and the 1st to 6th string width is wider at the 12th fret.

After attempting to set it up, I noticed a slice in the nut where the g strings sits. I will have to replace the nut. Also one of the saddle scews where the the b string sits was stuck and I had to reverse it which let me lower the action. I will have to file down some of the screws, as they prevent me from doing any sort of palm muting comfortably. I also just purchased a Suhr Doug Aldrich Humbucker for the bridge position and a Seymour Duncan Hot rails for the neck position and will be installing them.

Last edited by ekalks on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
taylornutt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I used to have one of those guitars and it was a lot of fun. It's a good guitar to start from.
robert(original)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had one of those as well, cool guitar, but i couldn't get on with something that didn't have a vibrato unit. and i had to remake the guard on mine, the bridge pup placement is too close to the neck to me.
ekalks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Tremolo. Reply with quote

You could always put a tremolo on one. Personally if I were put one in it would be a Floyd Rose or Schaller type.
ekalks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided to go with 2 full size humbuckers. Both of them will be Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups. Output is 17.5 bridge and 9.5 neck. I will be routing both slots to spread the pickups farther apart just until I get to the harmonic sweet spot.
ekalks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Done! Reply with quote

http://postimg.org/image/n87kpeoyv/

http://postimg.org/image/dhjqtjpsz/
NickS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good (though the pictures are not very sharp).
ekalks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take some more pictures and post them. I took these with my Iphone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: