ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Adapting US to German electrical system
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Adapting US to German electrical system Reply with quote

I've never played outside North America and will be working (regular job, not gigs) in Germany for nearly a year. Takin my guitar and a small amp...

Any USAmericans with experience playing in Countries with 220-240 V power able to advise me on a power adapter & plug?

Thanks!
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're there for near enough a year I think you'd be better off buying one over there. Then you're not lugging yours over, even a little one will be another suitcase. If you do that you won't need to research and buy adapters.
Chris Fleming

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there is something super special about your amp I wouldn't bother and buy one, as BobBumbiscuit says. Surely the price of shipping it over and back would be about the same? Even buy one second hand and sell it after you're done? Wouldn't lose much if anything
blane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we lived in Germany we had to buy transformers for most of our electronics. They were big silver boxes. Wasn't really a hassle as far as I remember. But this was the 90s I'm sure the boxes have gotten smaller. And I don't remember if it supported 3 prong plugs.

But ad many said, Might want to just get a small practice amp over there...
Chris Fleming

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do transformers not weigh a fuck ton? wouldn't want to lug one around... ones i've used were usually yellow, about the size of two car batteries and about as heavy
BobArsecake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html

Cheap amp from there, problem solved. You could get a little Orange, probably cheaper than you'd get in the states. They have (I think as a standard) option to use EU or North American power by flicking a switch on the back and you just need to switch the kettle lead. Treat yourself to a tiny terror combo ;]
Doug

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Good suggestions, thanks Reply with quote

BobArsecake wrote:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.htmlCheap amp from there, problem solved. You could get a little Orange, probably cheaper than you'd get in the states. They have (I think as a standard) option to use EU or North American power by flicking a switch on the back and you just need to switch the kettle lead. Treat yourself to a tiny terror combo ;]

Thanks, guys. Good suggestions, and I may just take Bob's advice and buy a little amp when I get there. Can I assume my guitar will plug right in without any adaptation?
BobArsecake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Good suggestions, thanks Reply with quote

Doug wrote:
BobArsecake wrote:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.htmlCheap amp from there, problem solved. You could get a little Orange, probably cheaper than you'd get in the states. They have (I think as a standard) option to use EU or North American power by flicking a switch on the back and you just need to switch the kettle lead. Treat yourself to a tiny terror combo ;]

Thanks, guys. Good suggestions, and I may just take Bob's advice and buy a little amp when I get there. Can I assume my guitar will plug right in without any adaptation?

Perhaps give the embassy a call.
mkt3000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Good suggestions, thanks Reply with quote

Doug wrote:
BobArsecake wrote:

Uh.

Yes.
Joey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Good suggestions, thanks Reply with quote

mkt3000 wrote:
Doug wrote:
BobArsecake wrote:

Uh.

Yes.

Heyyyy.... he's gotta ask. You foreigners are always doing shit half ass backwards. You guys drive on the fucking wrong side of the road! Drive NORMALLY!!!
Chris Fleming

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Good suggestions, thanks Reply with quote

Joey wrote:

Heyyyy.... he's gotta ask. You foreigners are always doing shit half ass backwards. You guys drive on the fucking wrong side of the road! Drive NORMALLY!!!

It's mostly only us that do that... the rest of Europe drives on the wrong side of the road like yerself and they all have weird plugs? Three pin British plug is the only one that makes any sense.
sunshiner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are amps like Carvin Vintage 16(old model) and some Egnater amps that have a switching from 120V to 240V. Carvins are relatively cheap, you can find one on ebay for less than $300.
sunshiner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are amps like Carvin Vintage 16(old model) and some Egnater amps that have a switching from 120V to 240V. Carvins are relatively cheap, you can find one on ebay for less than $300.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Fleming wrote:
do transformers not weigh a fuck ton? wouldn't want to lug one around... ones i've used were usually yellow, about the size of two car batteries and about as heavy

those are for use on construction sites and convert 230v to 110v.

Chris Fleming

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... ok. We used them at college was all. Electricity is magic in plastic vines that come from ground and make things go move and bright light... look for my future posts on anything electric for proof that I know nothing how things work
stewart
Cunning Linguist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Fleming wrote:
Electricity is magic in plastic vines that come from ground and make things go move and bright light...

this is essentially correct.

paul_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "buy a new amp over there" option sounds more sensible, but it will actually be more costly/just as troublesome down the line. Basic step up/down transformers are cheaper than guitar amps this side of battery-powered beltclip jobbies, plus you have the hassle of getting rid of the German amp before you come back which is really the flipside of the coin of what you're facing now (do you take an amp or save luggage space and buy one there).

My dad made little step down transformers for all his UK stuff when we moved to Holland and then the US in the late '80s/early '90s, they were the size of ghost traps from Ghostbusters (I remember this because I had him make me one of those too). I'm still using some of them to run his old hi-fi or our PAL-format VHS machine on occasion.
You can buy little dual-purpose ones with German plugs for like $30-$50 in the US, and that would be good for anything you take, not just your guitar amp.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Joey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, I offer guitar sitting services Very Happy
blane

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Good suggestions, thanks Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
mkt3000 wrote:
Doug wrote:
BobArsecake wrote:

Uh.

Yes.

Red= Right side drive
Blue= wrong side drive
BobArsecake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Good suggestions, thanks Reply with quote

blane wrote:
Joey wrote:
mkt3000 wrote:
Doug wrote:
BobArsecake wrote:

Uh.

Yes.

Red= Right side drive
Blue= wrong side drive

It is weird.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: