ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

How much is a Musicman Stingray I worth?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: How much is a Musicman Stingray I worth? Reply with quote

I saw one for sale for $800. are they worth that much? Do they have active electronics?

benecol
Best Poster 2010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think that's a pretty keen price.

And dibs on the flip. I'd love one.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONE SOME DIGGING: they're kind of a pre-G&L G&L. It'll have a 12" radius board. Made of ash, and trebly as fuck. They are active electronics. Seems like a play before you buy deal to me.

(and I'm rescinding my theoretical dibs that I'd probably never have followed through on).
westtexasred

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benecol wrote:
DONE SOME DIGGING: they're kind of a pre-G&L G&L. It'll have a 12" radius board. Made of ash, and trebly as fuck. They are active electronics. Seems like a play before you buy deal to me.

(and I'm rescinding my theoretical dibs that I'd probably never have followed through on).

Thanks for the info. I also saw a Musicman Stingray II for $100 more. That one is black and it has a 7.5" radius fretboard.

Here is some info I found from a online

"There were two versions, the model I and the model II. They were identical except for the fretboard radius. The Model I has a flatter fretboard more prefered by slide players. The Model II has a rounder fretboard very simliar to a stratocaster.The bridge is a heavy chromed covered brass piece. Sometime in 1977, Music Man started making them with machined brass nuts, instead of bone.

The Stingray had a 4-position rotary knob. The position selected either pickup alone, both pickups in phase or both out of phase. Their was also a rocker switch used for the brightness control.They were made of ash.They have more sustain and are beefier than the common strat, due in part the dense ash bodies, active electronics and high output humbuckers.They are very powerful guitars.There is a bright switch which can makes it sound very bright with tremendous presence that really cuts through.

They have active electronics which takes a bit of getting used to. The normal position for the Volume, Bass and Treble knobs is half way. From there you can alter the tone or volume in either direction. If you just peak out the knobs, like you might on a strat, it will surely sound too bright with an overly powerful low end.With a fresh battery in the guitar (it takes a 9v battery to run the active preamp) a full setting on the volume control will push most amps into ovedrive."

westtexasred

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could put it in my Sonic Youth Shrine with the Fernandez

Link

sholkham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always loved the way these look but I don't think I could get on with active electronics. It's nice to know they come in a 7.5" radius though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: