ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

NAGD: Vintage V300

View previous topic :: View next topic  
George

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: NAGD: Vintage V300 Reply with quote

on my holibobs in brighton i made a stop at the glorious yellow gak centre in the north laines with the intent of trying out the much revered vintage v300 acoustic, and for the princely sum of £132 inc. headstock tuner, strings, strap and (terrible) gigbag i brought one home with me.

what piqued my interest, and readers may want to take note of this, is the fact it has been voted best acoustic guitar for under £1000. that's right, best under one thousand pounds.

the guitar is listed as a "folk guitar" which as you can imagine means it's geared toward fingerpicking and a tighter sound. it has a bright and resonant punchy tone full of midrange and volume with clear string separation and a surprising amount of sustain for such a small package. chugging open chords seems a little lost because of the lack of bottom end, but when you start picking and moving up and down the neck it really comes alive. the action and setup is also top notch for the price. i'm currently getting used to the thicker strings past the 7th fret but this is because i am syndromed by electrics. the guitar came setup with 11-52s which although light for acoustics matches this model very well.

i am currently looking at new strings from this excellent thread as the set on there is basic, and i'm sure a set of 80/20s could bring out some more richness and volume. however, on the whole i'm still shocked at the quality and value. this is a lot of guitar for the money and i urge you all to consider it when looking for a reasonably priced acoustic.

NickS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best acoustic sub-£1000? Hmm. I'd like to know more.
Interesting string shootout in that article.
Quote:
Pretty much every string in existence is “bright, full, and long lasting”. That’s not very helpful
lol
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely, did they throw that funky guitar stand in, too?
George

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best for 1000 award comes from a Guitar Magazine roundup but I can't find it. the string article is very helpful though

As it happens I just got it back from the store with a setup and he's made the action too low so the top e snags all the time and is very noticeable. A real shame as it'll have to go back again
othomas2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage acoustic guitars... for the price .... are the best out there... good choice !!

Where & how is it snagging ?

Also, You need to find what sounds best to YOUR ears
George

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha

Snagging might be the wrong word but the top e when struck with any force sort of chokes out and hits the fret in front. Too low action basically. If I play delicately its fine. There's also one or two buzzy parts around the middle strings

If I shim the saddle with credit or business card myself will that cause any major tone problems with transferring vibrations and what not?
George

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't answer that, dropped it back off at the store. its his problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: