ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Quality Les Pauls? ALso NGD: Jim Deacon Les Paul copy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Quality Les Pauls? ALso NGD: Jim Deacon Les Paul copy Reply with quote

My best mate just picked up a Jim Deacon Les Paul copy which Iíve borrowed for a while. Iíve been circling Les Pauls like a sexy vulture for a whileÖ..I am now 100% sure I need one because of this guitar. In fact Iím thinking of offering him the 50 quid he paid for it. Iíd really like a properly decent les paul and that doesnít totally mean a Gibson in my head. I donít care for paying for brand, Iíd rather that money equalled build quality. Iím almost think that if I gave him 50 quid for this is any les paul really going to be 100-2000 quid better than this? What options are there for really fucking well made Les Pauls that look nice? What brands to avoid? Does anyone know much about Jim Deacon guitars? Where they were made?

Anyway on to the Jim DeaconÖ.I have to say I thought it would be a piece of absolute shit but itís NOT. Hereís why:

PROS:
Itís heavy as fuck. It appears to have a one piece back (I certainly canít see any evidence of a laminate) and the neck is FANTASTIC. Iím guessing this is a chunky 50ís profile and is certainly benecol-friendly in the girth-stakes. Even though I have small hands I prefer a profile that fills out my palm. Itís got big fat frets that are not normally to my taste HOWEVER it instantly got me blues-noodling and I am a BENDWHORE with that kind of stuff, very very easy bending action. The whole thing feels solid as a rock. You could easily beat a man to death with it for you looking at you a bit funny in a pub. The hardware seems perfectly good and not noticeably lesser quality than any other TOM/stop-tail.

Cons:

Itís heavy as fuck. The inlays on the neck arenít very spesh and look more plastic than the real deal. Plastic nut. The colour is kind of gross. Itís ALMOST 70ís cool, but the fairly plain wood laminate on top doesnít do much to help the poo/urine-burst. The back and neck is a nice deep wine red however. Boring plain headstock. Itís obviously got some Asian style electrics in it but that is not necessarily a con. Initial plug in to the amp didnít blow me away tone wise (but then neither does my amp any way). Without distortion the bridge was a bit honky. Somewhere between my playing and hitting the amp it lost the subtleties of my blues-fingerô.

iCEByTes wrote:
Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
markeeee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokai Love Rock? Especially the older ones. Or maybe Vintage? Burny? There are lots of good LP copies out there.

A decent setup by a decent luthier can work wonders. Even my brand new Gibson VOS '56 reissue - by far the most expensive guitar I've ever bought - was a dog until I got the frets dressed, the nut replaced and new bridge saddles. I've never seen a brand new guitar that has come properly set up from the factory or, for that matter, the shop.

Just accept that you'll have to spend a few quid on a GOOD setup (Luthier's Corner on Denmark St. usually works out about £120 for a setup and a new nut) and a few little upgrades and you won't go far wrong.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Markee - I'm pretty spesh at set ups meself so no costs there other than parts. I'm toying with the idea of investing money up front in Pups and electrics which i can stick in this Les and then simply save up for something of even better build quality and swap over the electrics. 99% of the tone is gonna come from the electrics and hardware anyway.

I'm absolutely shocked you could get a very expensive guitar that has not had a proper set up. In fact I basically think the only reason expensive guitars are thought to 'play better' is because most players don't know shit about set up and then when they pick up an expensive guitar that's had some attention paid to the set up, they confuse the price tag for the playability. I'm pretty sure on that really. To hear that a evry expensive guitar could be purchased without the 1 or 2 hours it would take to set up pristinely is fucking shocking to me.

iCEByTes wrote:
rps-10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage make nice affordable les Pauls, only reason I'm selling mine is so I can get a SG for myself.

As for Jim Deacon its a Chinese rebrand guitar, I have. A 24" strat and its well made and setup.
Those SX guitars from rondo are the same things.

mezzio13 wrote:
JJ makes sweeps look easy and effortless. His nick name should be broom.
NickS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Deacon is a brand name used by Euromusic, a musical instrument buying group based in Hamilton, Scotland. Jim Deacon Guitar Co. Ltd. was previously registered as a UK limited company at an address in Edinburgh, but the company was dissolved some years back. The two directors of Jim Deacon Guitar Co. Ltd became directors of Euromusic but have since resigned, one now is a director of Hamilton Music Centre.

Here's a retailer of the current range - HW Music at Bolton Current branding also appears to be changing to "(squiggle) Deacon"

Matt's Jim Deacon J-bass copy was bought from Modern Music (since taken over by Dawson's) some years ago. It's made in China and is serviceable but not outstanding.

Last edited by NickS on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
othomas2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah another plus one for 'Vintage' V100 series. Great value for money... and I think the Wilkinson Pickups / hardware are great.

They blow current Epiphones out of the water in my opinion.

Aiden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to hear some good things about Vintage; I've always wondered about them but never had the cash to experiment with one. Some of the similarly priced Epiphones I've played have shocked me with their shittyness.
Progrockabuse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really enjoyed mine when i had it, great playing guitars and look the part. always thought an uncovered bridge pickup on mine would look good.

there good platform for modding too, nice set of pickups and maybe grovers and your away.

A Fender into a cranked amp = life goals
Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Vintage from me. I had a go of the Lemon drop LP they did, it was very nice indeed. Tokai LPs come up on Gumtree for a decent price quite often.

For the price you can get a second hand Vintage one tho, its a hard guitar to beat.
Noirie.
YOUTH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage also do a Les Paul Deluxe copy. How fucking amazing is that?
Sloan
Sexy Predator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^DAT RED, SON
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These cost 50 quid? Isn't that like $75?

Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^That's one of my local shops. They're total pirates. They sell the same things as most guitar shops, just for a couple of hundred quid extra.

I'm shocked to see something cheap on there.

Glasgow is always swimming with cheap music gear and the occasional great find. BTW If that shop's selling something for £100 it'll be the sort of thing you find on gumtree for £20.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy - it cost 50 quid from a charity shop here. Probably a shop-soiled donation as there is no fret wear at all. it got a big old dent in the body.

i may have just done something rather silly (egged on by benecol).

iCEByTes wrote:
h8mtv

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ventura-LP-style-vintage-80s-maple-w-black-inlays-MIJ-Penco-Electra-Lawsuit-/181120713103?pt=Guitar&hash=item2a2ba2c18f
Thom
lamp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

Beauty.
Progrockabuse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom wrote:
Dave wrote:

Beauty.

do staple style pickups! very nice dave

NickD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely - I <3 P90s
lorez

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Mr Benecol can be very persuasive at time. It looks sweet Dave. When does it arrive?

dots wrote:
This forum's format is my vinyl.
Progrockabuse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lorez wrote:
That Mr Benecol can be very persuasive at time. It looks sweet Dave. When does it arrive?

benecol is like Rohypnol in gear pimp form

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: