ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Pickup Change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZombieLloyd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Pickup Change Reply with quote

Hi there everyone, I have a question I would like to ask you all. I have an ESP LTD V-50 which is my favourite out of the 3 guitars I own. I wanted to personalise it a bit so my question is this. What bridge pickup would go with it? It's got the stock LH-150 pickups so I want to change the bridge pickup. Also note that I am so poor I'm gonna have to sell my Epiphone 50th Anniversary Epiphone for about 100 to get the pickup and a decent soldering kit. I'm not begging for money like one guy tried to do here, that never works online haha. Anyway thanks in advance for responding.
chemistforhire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you love it, why change it?
As far as pickups go, I like tom anderson humbucker pickups.
ZombieLloyd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chemistforhire wrote:
If you love it, why change it?
As far as pickups go, I like tom anderson humbucker pickups.

I want to learn to change pickups, and I was planning on changing the bridge pickup to a Seymour Duncan SH-6b
Gabriel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZombieLloyd wrote:
I want to learn to change pickups, and I was planning on changing the bridge pickup to a Seymour Duncan SH-6b

If it's your favourite guitar I really wouldn't bother. Also the Duncan distortion won't sound a million times better than the stock pickups. If you really want to change the pickup I'd get an Entwistle pickup - something like the X3 or Nemisis would be perfect, and they only cost around 15. Also just grap a cheap soldering iron from Aldi or Wilkos and then pick up some lead free solder off ebay, that would cost you about 20. That would save you from selling a guitar.

Actually Aldi look to have a decent kit, including solder for 6.99: http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_27230.htm

Entwistle X3: http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?puid=X3
Thom
lamp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabriel wrote:
If it's your favourite guitar I really wouldn't bother. Also the Duncan distortion won't sound a million times better than the stock pickups. If you really want to change the pickup I'd get an Entwistle pickup - something like the X3 or Nemisis would be perfect,

+1 on this. I've got a Nemesis and it's surprisingly good. Lots of good things written about Entwistle pickups and the price is great. I certainly wouldn't splash out on a Duncan in your position.
ZombieLloyd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabriel wrote:
ZombieLloyd wrote:

If it's your favourite guitar I really wouldn't bother. Also the Duncan distortion won't sound a million times better than the stock pickups. If you really want to change the pickup I'd get an Entwistle pickup - something like the X3 or Nemisis would be perfect, and they only cost around 15. Also just grap a cheap soldering iron from Aldi or Wilkos and then pick up some lead free solder off ebay, that would cost you about 20. That would save you from selling a guitar.

Actually Aldi look to have a decent kit, including solder for 6.99: http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_27230.htm

Entwistle X3: http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?puid=X3

Thanks for the help Smile
JJLipton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
If it's your favourite guitar I really wouldn't bother. Also the Duncan distortion won't sound a million times better than the stock pickups. If you really want to change the pickup I'd get an Entwistle pickup - something like the X3 or Nemisis would be perfect,

+1 on this. I've got a Nemesis and it's surprisingly good. Lots of good things written about Entwistle pickups and the price is great. I certainly wouldn't splash out on a Duncan in your position.

You're a good man, Thom. I own the dimarzio version known as the "Crunch Lab" and it is indeed awesome.

wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom wrote:

Maybe I could put 3 of these in my Les Paul?
JJLipton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwrrss wrote:
Thom wrote:

Maybe I could put 3 of these in my Les Paul?

I wouldn't recommend that. Dimarzio makes the liquifire which sounds great for the neck position. I'm assuming entwisle has a similar neck humbucker.
ZombieLloyd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom wrote:

I've never heard of Entwistle but I have had a look and I'm interested in the X2. There's one on ebay right now for 11.99 so I'll get that when I can
JJLipton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZombieLloyd wrote:
Thom wrote:

I've never heard of Entwistle but I have had a look and I'm interested in the X2. There's one on ebay right now for 11.99 so I'll get that when I can

Infact i'll be getting my half bar pickup switch party on myself soon.

ZombieLloyd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJLipton wrote:
ZombieLloyd wrote:
Thom wrote:

Infact i'll be getting my half bar pickup switch party on myself soon.

I hope you enjoy them. Smile Thanks for the help too
JJLipton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think compared to most modern guitarists neither can be said to be overly technical. I consider phil x in particular to be more of a classic rock guy.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJLipton wrote:
I think compared to most modern guitarists neither can be said to be overly technical. I consider phil x in particular to be more of a classic rock guy.

LOL

Brandon W wrote:
you elites.
JJLipton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekwatts wrote:
JJLipton wrote:

LOL

Let's keep in mind i consider eddie van halen to be a classic rock guy. Phil x is very evh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: