ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Mandolins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vivadeluxxe

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Mandolins Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about these things?
Basically, I was given an old mandolin by my Dad when he was having a clear out last year...

Since I'm a bit bored with the guitar I've been learning to play it, and have got quite reasonable...
My housemates girlfriend is a singer and a big bluegrass fan so we've been working on some covers together, and we have now been asked to play at a small local outdoor festival at the Jubilee weekend...

The mandolin I have is falling to pieces and isn't gonna be up to the task, so I really need to buy a new one if we're going to play the gig... I know shit-all about them... can anyone recommend a brand who make them? And how much would a good price be for an electro one? I can't really afford more than 200...
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one pictured is (most likely) a Japanese bowlback from the 60s or 70s. While not particularly valuable or rare, they're still really cool. In terms of application, bowlbacks are almost exclusively used in classical music. If you want something to compete with a guitar, you should probably use an A or F style.
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting into bluegrass music, you're going to be wanting F holes on your instrument to get the projection and punch for bluegrass music.

200 is a really, really low buget for a decent mandolin.

In that price range, look for a used Kentucky KM-150, or KM-162. Don't bother with paying for a scroll, you get more for your money with a simple A shape. Both my mandolins have scrolls btw Very Happy

The Loar is another good example to look for used in that price bracket, check out the LM220 or the LM400, or their equivalent A models, can't remember. If you can stretch your budget you'll dso much better

Best of luck, it's a wonderful instrument. I'll also use this thread to show off my new Joe Foley F5 mando. HOSS!

plopswagon

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play an Epiphone "A-type"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1