ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiWiki   ShortScale RadioRadio  ShortScale WikiBuilder

Acid king/Electric wizard sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilrecar77

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Acid king/Electric wizard sound Reply with quote

I've been listening to a lot of sludge/stoner metal lately, and the sound is becoming infectious. Being that I'm currently pedal-less and have a peavey bandit, I'm not exactly succeeding in getting "that sound". I've been looking at some pedals and it seems like a boss fz-2 is almost exactly that sound, but with my budget I'd probably have to go with the Behringer clone. Anyone have any advice? Getting a real tube amp is out of the question right now, the bandit can hold it's own (sounds much better [and different] with the swamp thang speaker).
benecol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FZ2 is indeed the pedal you need, and the Behringer clone is lovely - great little pedal. Fran's done a demo, somewhere...

EDIT: here's Hurb's demo.

Link
wilrecar77

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly helps my decision in getting the Behringer, looks like I'll go with that! I should be able to get the money soon enough.
dub

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori from Acid King uses a Little Big Muff.

FZ-2 is the tits. I have a Superfuzz that sounds almost as nasty. But not quite. Its too musical ahah.
ohyeahfuzzbear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to tune low...reaaaal low
"And every day after high school, the young Kurt would sit down with his soldering iron and oscilloscope, to work on what come to be known as the Boss DS-1, the world's first guitar distortion pedal."
wilrecar77

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Big Muff NYC, it was nice but didn't quite cut it for the particular sound (also I traded it for a spiky guitar). The fz-2 does sound almost comically like electric wizard, which is why I'm set on the behringer clone. The main reason I didn't quite jive with the big muff is because the grit was "too fast" for the attack, as in it was more of a fizz type fuzz, compared to like a voltage starved fuzz, which has a "slower grit". Hopefully that makes sense, usually the "grit speed" either makes or breaks a deal for me.
dub

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLAY LOUDER
Sloan
Sexy Predator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a tube amp with a clean channel and crank it up until your speakers start shitting themselves.

here is my fz-3 lined direct and then some speaker emulation slapped on.

Link

tuned in standard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloane played a danoelectric baratone thru a 4x10 bassman RI at gutiar center for me for like 20 minutes inside the sound room.

it was fucking epic. he had the thing turned up so loud that it was shaking shit out side on the walls in the store.

it made me want to go watch a band play shit like that
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kim
[=''=]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to my nightmare.

that sound on funerapolis, i want it, i need it, but i'm broke, and lack of time, it's not just any pushed amp with any fuzz. i posted about this a while ago, also the sound of wata's guitar on akuma no uta, so massive, i think you can always get close but never spot on, even they can't, in a live setting..just cherish the recorded sounds and be full of envy Razz

www.myspace.com/heavium
i dunketh MC's like a crumpet in my tea
wilrecar77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pedal is ordered! Should be here by next Thursday.
wilrecar77

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedal's here! Sounds like a superfuzz, but it will take a while to dial in a nice Electric Wizard sound. It's quite a bit more fizzy than I thought it would be. Keeping the jazzmaster copy in Bb standard helps a lot.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robroe wrote:
Sloane played a danoelectric baratone thru a 4x10 bassman RI at gutiar center for me for like 20 minutes inside the sound room.

it was fucking epic. he had the thing turned up so loud that it was shaking shit out side on the walls in the store.

it made me want to go watch a band play shit like that

dude, i loved that so much, it was amazing. i still haven't seen one of those guitars since. LOVED IT. people were shitting themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wilrecar77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the revive, but there has been a development. I'm gonna get around to a demo tomorrow (of my stoner metal tone more so than the pedal itself) but I need to get some headphones first. Fast-forward a month after getting the pedal and I just realized it sounds SO MUCH better through the gain channel of the bandit. It gives it the "bloom" I was looking for and now that I've got a 15" extension cabinet to go with the peavey, the sound is much more "two dimensional". It's quite interesting. As of right now it's like Goatsnake's flower of disease, but with the "bloom" of the guitar intro on Vanilla Fudge's you keep me hanging on (long version) or the heavily compressed piano on Crosstown Traffic.

Link

Non-reversed part starts at :34.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goatsnake should have just been called 'BONER'
wilrecar77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloan wrote:
Goatsnake should have just been called 'BONER'

I know, shit's amazing. Anyway, here's a rough demo. Just some riffing, tracked 4 times, 2 takes for each speaker, panned hard left and right.
Demo

EDIT: sorry for the crazy ending, I was showing my friend how to do stereo stuff in audacity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: