ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Death By Audio Interstellar Overdriver...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohyeahfuzzbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Death By Audio Interstellar Overdriver... Reply with quote

I really like the interstellar overdriver but it seems like a big investment (seeing as I am only on saved pocket money and birthday money) so I was just wondering... Is it really worth the price? Death by Audio make some really interesting and aesthetically pleasing pedals but I don't want to feel like I am just paying for a pretty painted box with an overdrive circuit that is still good but not worth the money...

Anyone's opinions or suggestions as to other overdrive pedals available would be extremely appreciated

Thanks

Smile
"And every day after high school, the young Kurt would sit down with his soldering iron and oscilloscope, to work on what come to be known as the Boss DS-1, the world's first guitar distortion pedal."
cobascis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to know this too.

The one with the huuuughe knob on it is HOT.
ohyeahfuzzbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobascis wrote:
I really want to know this too.

The one with the huuuughe knob on it is HOT.

The one with the huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggge Knob is the interstellar overdriver... or you could have serious knob action with this bad boy...

"And every day after high school, the young Kurt would sit down with his soldering iron and oscilloscope, to work on what come to be known as the Boss DS-1, the world's first guitar distortion pedal."
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only you can decide if it's worth it. The parts are worth 10, but if you like the way they sound...

The Sailplanes - London band
Fredric Effects - pedals
ohyeahfuzzbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timhulio wrote:
Only you can decide if it's worth it. The parts are worth 10, but if you like the way they sound...

Yeah I suppose, I'll go try one out when i'm london. I think Vintage and Rare guitars on Denmark street has some death by audio stuff. I'll make my decision in the shop and probably get one online...
othomas2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohyeahfuzzbear wrote:
timhulio wrote:

Yeah I suppose, I'll go try one out when i'm london. I think Vintage and Rare guitars on Denmark street has some death by audio stuff. I'll make my decision in the shop and probably get one online...

Booo... if you like it in the shop then buy it in the shop... they're a cool shop and should be supported.
ohyeahfuzzbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

othomas2 wrote:
ohyeahfuzzbear wrote:
timhulio wrote:

Booo... if you like it in the shop then buy it in the shop... they're a cool shop and should be supported.

I think I may do that now! They have the cheapest price I can find anywhere in europe! Smile
othomas2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man, I do like V&R.... if the internet trade continues the way it is then we may not have any guitars shops left to demo stuff in.
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

othomas2 wrote:
Good man, I do like V&R.... if the Denmark St. continues to staffed almost hegemoneously by a mixture of idiots and cunts then we may not have any guitars shops left to demo stuff in.

Fix'd.

You'll cowards don't even smoke krack.
othomas2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha I hate denmark street... but that is one shop that's left that I get vaguely excited about stepping in to. Maybe Wunjo too...
Viljami

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

support your local half-decent music store. I do. Grudgingly.
ohyeahfuzzbear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

othomas2 wrote:
haha I hate denmark street... but that is one shop that's left that I get vaguely excited about stepping in to. Maybe Wunjo too...
I dislike most of the shops on denmark street. I have never been in v and r so it will be my first time next time i'm in london. I'm a big fan of wunjo, friendliest staff in the world.
less_cunning

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't own any DBA pedals but i have heard good things about the I-O Deluxe. that & the the Robot 1 would be the only DBA pedals i would even remotely want to have. but i would not want to buy 1 either--

i do like the design of some of their pedals &i really love pedals that have minimalist, almost industrial designs in general. near bare enclosures. but at the same time i don't base buying a pedal on what it looks like either. some ppl do & i don't think that should not necessarily be discounted.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timhulio wrote:

Isn't this true of most dirt pedals on the market?
less_cunning

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess he's also discounting the price of a soldering iron (+ solder, solder sucker, desolder braid...) drill/drill press, work bench, bread board, alligator clips & all the other TOOLS (wire cutter, needle nose pliers, wire snips) & whatever else ONE needs to actually make a pedal. not even talking about the cost of an USED oscilloscope.

seems like a bit more 10.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhysyrhys wrote:
othomas2 wrote:
Good man, I do like V&R.... if the Denmark St. continues to staffed almost hegemoneously by a mixture of idiots and cunts then we may not have any guitars shops left to demo stuff in.

Fix'd.

Carv'd on a little plaque. Well said sir.
johnnyseven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V&R on Denmark Street is awesome, it's like going into a guitar museum where you can buy the exhibits - and the entrance fee is free!
Mike
I like EL34s

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've always been nothing but nice to me in there I have to say. I turned up with Reece and wanted to try out the cheapest thing they had by miles; that Blackstar HT-5 head.

They gave me a 3 Grand Custom Shop Telecaster to play it with.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

less_cunning wrote:
guess he's also discounting the price of a soldering iron (+ solder, solder sucker, desolder braid...) drill/drill press, work bench, bread board, alligator clips & all the other TOOLS (wire cutter, needle nose pliers, wire snips) & whatever else ONE needs to actually make a pedal. not even talking about the cost of an USED oscilloscope.

seems like a bit more 10.

Making pedals is a piece of piss. A child could do it. Most boutique pedalling is experimentation with existing designs and a pinch of pure hackery. The gear you mentioned (you don't need an oscilloscope or a drill press- a hand drill is fine) can be got for fifty quid and is good for a making an brazzilion pedals. If you leave the enclosures unfinished except for a stencil you're also saving loads of time and money.

The Sailplanes - London band
Fredric Effects - pedals
JJLipton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$320!?!? Nooo way. For a little bit more you can just buy a Bugera head. I've wasted way too much money on dirt boxes before realizing i needed a better amp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3