ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Please explain how Marshall's presence control works

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
analogsystem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Please explain how Marshall's presence control works Reply with quote

I know this should be in the Marshall FAQ but I thought it might be more likely to be noticed here:

I know Marshall's presence control (on lets say a 2203/4 head) controls the negative feedback loop. Can someone please dumb the process down and explain how this works and effects the sound?

I always thought of the presence as the "sparkle" above the treble knob, but now I am hearing more complexity in what it does. Maybe my ears are just getting better (or worse) but I feel like the presence knob actually adds some sparkle and also takes out some upper mids somewhere....its definitely a well named knob as it seems to add presence in the mix, just as it should. I have basically left this knob on 5 for the last 6 years (why?) and have just now decided to turn it up some more....diggin' the sound but wondering about the technical aspects.

I have a general idea of how a passive tone stack works in the amp.....but the negative feedback loop thing is a bit over my head. Any help with understanding this would be great!!!

Also "Presence" is the best Zeppelin album so you know there is something going on there Wink

thanks!!
Mike
I like EL34s

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great knowledge here, put better than I could explain it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: