ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Need some suggestions on a good fuzz
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceFace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Need some suggestions on a good fuzz Reply with quote

Hey everyone I am new to the forum (though been scoping it out for a while) and need some suggestions. I have been looking for a good fuzz that suits what I am looking for but every time I am settled on one I like, I see/hear another one I like and then cant decide. I ultimately would like a good heavy thick sounding fuzz (thinking along the lines of the band Sleep) but also one that can clean up well and be good with chords and not just muddy. I really like the death by audio fuzz war alot but am afraid it wouldn't work too great for chords. Anyway your help would be awesome.
kim
[=''=]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink j/k

for what it's worth i really love my fulltone ultimate octave (it's a dual pedal with a fuzz and an octave up fuzz), it has a switch that makes your sound either mid boosted or mid cut ( bright and more bassy). i don't have THAT much experience with different kinds of fuzzes but that pedal has lots of tonal options and they all sound good, i also don't know what guitar you're using but i can get droning sounds out of that ultimate octave's fuzz with a single coil stang. also the octave fuzz is not the kind that's only there when you play past the 12th fret/ jhave to use the neck PU etc, it works with chords (you get a bit of a qotsa type sound). and i like the fuzz with the mid boost switch on

www.myspace.com/heavium
i dunketh MC's like a crumpet in my tea
SpaceFace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh if I had the money I would get that green amp in a heartbeat haha. As far as my guitar my main one is a Chafin volante custom semi-hollow with humbuckers and coil taps. Pretty clean sounding guitar but can actually sound really heavy under the right circumstances.
benecol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great piss cheap fuzzes are the Danelectro French Toast or the Behringer SF300 - however, neither of these clean up, particularly. Both Mike and Timhulio of this parish make a lovely Green Muff clone (I'd love one), Mike also makes fuzzface with fuller mods (the only one of my suggestions that particularly cleans up with rolling off the volume). I always recommend the OLC Chunky Cheese (Lovetone Big Cheese clone) as a matter of course, and you might want to look at a MojoHand/Tonefactor Huckleberry; this is a hybrid fuzzface with a muff tonestack, so there's an awful lot of tonez in one pedal, and cleans up too.
Zack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of amp are you playing out of?

Aside from the greens that they've played out of, he's been using a 100-watt Soldano Super Lead Overdrive using a Laney as a slave unit for some of the High on Fire sets they've played. I got this off of Guitar Player.

EHX came out with that new big muff with "Tone Wicker" which I expect helps a lot with chords or higher notes.

Personally, I'd use a Dwarfcraft Shiva for sleep tones.
SpaceFace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be getting a new amp soon hopefully, something fairly cheap like the peavey classic 30 or a blues deluxe reissue. Yeah I have seen some videos of the pedals that Mike has made and I was blown away by each one.
Reece

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say go with a green muff if you're not entirely sure what you want. You can't really go wrong with 'em.
kim
[=''=]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah if you want something more crazy check that dwarfcraft shiva, people seem to love it. i've no idea since i haven't tried it, but i do own another dwarfcraft fuzz (great destroyer) which is schizophrenic, there's a setting where you can get just a really heavy bassy fuzz (that i love) which doesn't do the random weirdo stuff like with other settings if you're not into random weirdo sounds. Wink but on that basic fuzz setting it's really.. well i can't find words, i'd say ... 'ooomphh!'

btw, maybe put more demoz in here ? imma whore mah own demo Razz
it shows how schizo tgd is

Link

www.myspace.com/heavium
SpaceFace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know its funny because I had looked into the shiva before and thought it was really cool sounding, same with TGD, but like I said every time I look at something else I fall in love with another pedal haha, its crazy. And as far as random weird sounds I checked out a fuzz factory which was cool because I love crazy off the wall sounds and things but at the same time while playing it I was thinking to myself, how often will I actually use all this crazy stuff while playing; especially live playing.
Zack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting a new amp, you should look into something with the Higher gain setting built in.
Look at some Sovteks, mig50 or mig100. If you're planning on getting a Peavy Classic 30 for like 600 then don't pass up the ebays. The highest mig 50s go is around 400, mig 100 probably go 600 tops.

Link
kim
[=''=]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that's true, on tgd i've a setting that is a heavy fuzz but with a beeep/eeep when you mute the strings because i actually use that lots, i think a shiva will also do better if you need cleaner stuff and chords to get thru, from what i've heard in the demos

i think you can't avoid the trial and error proces when you're looking for the perfect fuzzbox though haha

www.myspace.com/heavium
Reece

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavium wrote:
on tgd i've a setting that is a heavy fuzz but with a beeep/eeep when you mute the strings because i actually use that lots

+1, you can change the pitch using the gain knobs and it's useful for filling out some riffs.

Also, with my jaguar if I play without a boost and lower the guitar's volume a wee bit I can just play the octave down kidna gated and its good for a nasty bass kinda sound.
kim
[=''=]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it's great how you can change the pitch

www.myspace.com/heavium
aen
Turdscreamer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goots. wrote:

Personally, I'd use a Dwarfcraft Shiva for sleep tones.

hehehe, me too. The target tone on that one was a real growly low note kind of thing. SO yeah, a lot liek sleep. Shiva is a lot more of a controllable fuzz, TGD is kind of like having a wolf for a pet. You don't really own it, you just coexist and hope nobody gets hurt.

What I'm using in those droney/doomey/stoney situations right now is an Eau Claire Thunder, but those wont be in the stores until the end of january probably. It's a big muff variant, basically I fixed all the problems I saw in the Big Muff and added some special touches.

I don't know if you tune down, or play any bass or baritone, but all my stuff is designed to retain as much low end as possible. TGD is probably the deepest, shiva has more treble bite, but unless you're on bass with a really good amp you shouldn't notice any bass cut, at least in the "target tone" setting.
benecol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aen wrote:
What I'm using in those droney/doomey/stoney situations right now is an Eau Claire Thunder, but those wont be in the stores until the end of january probably. It's a big muff variant, basically I fixed all the problems I saw in the Big Muff and added some special touches..

Go on Aen, tell us a bit more - what are these touches?
SpaceFace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note does anyone know what kind of gear Electric Wizard uses? I really love the sound on the song Master of Alchemy.
benecol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boss FZ2 - which the Behringer SF300 is a clone of.
kim
[=''=]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need a liz buckingham for electric wizardry

Razz

www.myspace.com/heavium
SpaceFace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavium wrote:
you need a liz buckingham for electric wizardry

Razz

hahahaha true.
euan
partynerd!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for TGD.

I'm still discovering stuff with this pedal everytime I use it.

euan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: