ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

70s musicmaster bass pickups- wtf?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
honeyiscool
.
.


Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 2072
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think taking the logo off a Bronco Bass is a big deal. It's not like anybody will mistake it for anything but a Squier Bronco Bass, considering what else looks like one.
_________________
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
honeyiscool
.
.


Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 2072
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob DiStefano wrote:
ah, yer one of those that must still believe the tone from an electric guitar is all about the wood and finish, eh?

here's a clue - electric guitar tone is all about the electronics. the rest of the guitar just holds those electronics and strings and frets together.

so, NO. what started out as a crappy toned "bass guitar" is now a true bass guitar, thanx essentially to better electronics ... and that, my friend, is NOT a bronco.

ymmv, as i'm sure it wiil, but you'd be incorrect.
So can you explain why I had two basses, with identical electronics, a Squier Bronco Bass and a Fender Musicmaster Bass, which are the same basic design, I had the same Lace Sensor Red pickups in both of them, which are pickups that a lot of people think make all guitars sound identical, and actually I even changed the neck on the Musicmaster Bass to a Squier Bronco Bass neck because I didn't like the original neck. So why did those two basses sound completely different, where one sounded good and the other didn't? I went through a fortune's worth of strings, too.

I'd like to think that electronics do everything but I still think that especially with a bass, there's something about the actual sound of the instrument before it ever gets amplified. Some basses I've played seem to have a deep full sound and some seem to have a thin guitar-like sound and if you have that, I just don't think much can be done about it.

Oh, and I have another bass, an Aria medium scale bass, on which I've also fitted a Lace Red Sensor and that is not a particularly good sounding instrument either. A Bronco Bass with half rounds sound way more full than the Aria with flatwounds, and this is despite the same pickups.
_________________
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob DiStefano
.
.


Joined: 26 Apr 2013
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeyiscool wrote:
I don't think taking the logo off a Bronco Bass is a big deal. It's not like anybody will mistake it for anything but a Squier Bronco Bass, considering what else looks like one.


ah, but to hear that '51 p-bass pup sing - that will make ya scratch yer head in wonder. Cool
_________________
www.FretTech.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Rob DiStefano
.
.


Joined: 26 Apr 2013
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeyiscool wrote:
Rob DiStefano wrote:
ah, yer one of those that must still believe the tone from an electric guitar is all about the wood and finish, eh?

here's a clue - electric guitar tone is all about the electronics. the rest of the guitar just holds those electronics and strings and frets together.

so, NO. what started out as a crappy toned "bass guitar" is now a true bass guitar, thanx essentially to better electronics ... and that, my friend, is NOT a bronco.

ymmv, as i'm sure it wiil, but you'd be incorrect.
So can you explain why I had two basses, with identical electronics, a Squier Bronco Bass and a Fender Musicmaster Bass, which are the same basic design, I had the same Lace Sensor Red pickups in both of them, which are pickups that a lot of people think make all guitars sound identical, and actually I even changed the neck on the Musicmaster Bass to a Squier Bronco Bass neck because I didn't like the original neck. So why did those two basses sound completely different, where one sounded good and the other didn't? I went through a fortune's worth of strings, too.

I'd like to think that electronics do everything but I still think that especially with a bass, there's something about the actual sound of the instrument before it ever gets amplified. Some basses I've played seem to have a deep full sound and some seem to have a thin guitar-like sound and if you have that, I just don't think much can be done about it.

Oh, and I have another bass, an Aria medium scale bass, on which I've also fitted a Lace Red Sensor and that is not a particularly good sounding instrument either. A Bronco Bass with half rounds sound way more full than the Aria with flatwounds, and this is despite the same pickups.


did you move over ALL of the electronics from one bass to the other? i thought so.
_________________
www.FretTech.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mkt3000
.
.


Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Posts: 2775
Location: Miami

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob DiStefano wrote:
mkt3000 wrote:
Rob DiStefano wrote:
robroe wrote:
... now we need to obviously discuss why you sanded off the squier logo


no discussion needed - it's no longer a squier bronco. Cool


No. It is. Just with upgrades and a sanded headstock.


ah, yer one of those that must still believe the tone from an electric guitar is all about the wood and finish, eh?


Not at all.

The rest of your post is moot.

And your bass, which I quite like, is a Bronco Bass with upgrades and a sanded headstock.
_________________
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daftsupernova
.
.


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 2493
Location: bottom of in a hell

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkt3000 wrote:
Rob DiStefano wrote:
mkt3000 wrote:
Rob DiStefano wrote:
robroe wrote:
... now we need to obviously discuss why you sanded off the squier logo


no discussion needed - it's no longer a squier bronco. Cool


No. It is. Just with upgrades and a sanded headstock.


ah, yer one of those that must still believe the tone from an electric guitar is all about the wood and finish, eh?


Not at all.

The rest of your post is moot.

And your bass, which I quite like, is a Bronco Bass with upgrades and a sanded headstock.


Seriously, dude. What makes it a Bronco is the body first and pickguard shape second. A Stratocaster doesn't stop being a Stratocaster because you give it a bridge humbucker, or just two humbuckers, or just simply replace all the pickups with lipstick pickups. It's still a Stratocaster, with some changes to the electronics.

It's a Squier Bronco with a better pickup.
_________________
Doog wrote:
Tone is stored in the balls

theshadowofseattle wrote:
That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
George
.
.


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 20847
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've read a lot of DiStefano's threads and posts on tdpri

really helpful guy

seems we're in some weird semantics debate though. i know shortscale champions the squier and we tend to flip when people sand off decals, but as long as rob declared the guitar's origins in any future trade/sale, does this really matter?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daftsupernova
.
.


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 2493
Location: bottom of in a hell

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess not
_________________
Doog wrote:
Tone is stored in the balls

theshadowofseattle wrote:
That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob DiStefano
.
.


Joined: 26 Apr 2013
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in '66 i bought a brandy new vw beetle.

in '69, just before trekking to woodstock, my buds and i installed a porsche engine and transmission, and beefed up the suspension.

it look like a vw bug, it said it was a vw bug, but it surely wasn't. Wink Cool Twisted Evil
_________________
www.FretTech.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
James
Nutmeg


Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 10645
Location: Boxingham Palace

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point rob, and agree with you that the core of an electric guitar or bass is the electronics, still I don't think you would have sanded off the decal if it had read Fender Bronco rather than Squier Bronco. So while I agree that what you have now is a very different beast to a stock Squier Bronco, I think there's still an element of 'Squier Shame' in deciding to sand off the decal.
_________________
Shabba.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob DiStefano
.
.


Joined: 26 Apr 2013
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya know, it's all good. really. Very Happy Cool
_________________
www.FretTech.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
James
Nutmeg


Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 10645
Location: Boxingham Palace

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't check the site in your sig, so apologies if this is a silly question.

When you talk about it being your own pickup I assume you mean you wound it? Do you make guitar and bass pickups or just bass?
_________________
Shabba.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob DiStefano
.
.


Joined: 26 Apr 2013
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started winding pickups back in the 50's, with my dad. stopped in the 60's. picked it back up again about 7 years ago.

i build single coil pickups for guitar and bass - www.frettech.com/cavalier
_________________
www.FretTech.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
NickD
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 3921
Location: Sheffield, Innit

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob DiStefano wrote:
in '66 i bought a brandy new vw beetle.

in '69, just before trekking to woodstock, my buds and i installed a porsche engine and transmission, and beefed up the suspension.

it look like a vw bug, it said it was a vw bug, but it surely wasn't. Wink Cool Twisted Evil


No, its still a VW Beetle, just a faster one. If you took the entire chassis of a 911, then put a Beetle body on top, then you might be right, but a modified Beetle is still a modified Beetle, just like a modified Squier Bronco is still a Squier Bronco, but with a better pickup. Nice work BTW.

Out of interest, what was the Beetle like? I've run against quick Beetles on the 1/4 mile and they are fast once they hook up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob DiStefano
.
.


Joined: 26 Apr 2013
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you brits are as stubborn as whence you once owned the colonies. Laughing

i'll regurgitate out these last comments, and then no more ...

the electric guitar or bass platform is about playability, not sound/tone. it's the engines that make it what it is, and not the other way around. no one sees your instruments in an audio recording. compare an audio track sound/tone of a stock bronco versus the same bass guitar with a different real bass pickup engine. in the later case, trust me - you'd never think it was a bronco. because, mate, it surely ain't. Very Happy Cool
_________________
www.FretTech.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
NickD
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 3921
Location: Sheffield, Innit

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respectfully disagree, and you'll mever convince me otherwise.

What do you mean, stubborn Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob DiStefano
.
.


Joined: 26 Apr 2013
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickD wrote:
I respectfully disagree, and you'll mever convince me otherwise.

What do you mean, stubborn Laughing


"stubborn" as in not calling a duck that sings like an eagle, an eagle. Rolling Eyes Laughing

as stated b4, it's all good, who gives a real crap about all this technical stuff, it mostly panders to the gearheads.

it's always the music that matters most. Cool
_________________
www.FretTech.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LizardKing
.
.


Joined: 29 Mar 2013
Posts: 279

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob DiStefano wrote:
in '66 i bought a brandy new vw beetle.

in '69, just before trekking to woodstock, my buds and i installed a porsche engine and transmission, and beefed up the suspension.

it look like a vw bug, it said it was a vw bug, but it surely wasn't. Wink Cool Twisted Evil


Do you remember the show?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob DiStefano
.
.


Joined: 26 Apr 2013
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LizardKing wrote:
Rob DiStefano wrote:
in '66 i bought a brandy new vw beetle.

in '69, just before trekking to woodstock, my buds and i installed a porsche engine and transmission, and beefed up the suspension.

it look like a vw bug, it said it was a vw bug, but it surely wasn't. Wink Cool Twisted Evil


Do you remember the show?


like man, if you attended woodstock, and remembered most of it, you really weren't there. Cool
_________________
www.FretTech.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LizardKing
.
.


Joined: 29 Mar 2013
Posts: 279

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob DiStefano wrote:
like man, if you attended woodstock, and remembered most of it, you really weren't there. Cool


*sigh*
I thought I had you in my trap but you wriggled out of it....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 676497 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!