ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader  

Remastering question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mezzio13
GOODmin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Remastering question Reply with quote

I have an old cassette tape of a couple shows that I played 20 years ago. I want to hop them up a little bit, and try to bring out teh tonez/mojozorz. I was thinking of dunping it into my software, copying the track and eq'ing it to bring out the most for each inst (one for guit, one for drums, one for vox, etc.). Any one have any suggestions as to whether this will work or if there is a software package strictly for this sort of tom foolery?
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that when I got the recordings of a show I did. Just threw the mp3 into Fruity Loops and made the best of it with EQ and Compression.
zoinks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah fruity loops pretty much is awesome if you know how to use it right.
James
Nutmeg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a 4 track cassette with the instruments still seperated? If it's not, and you're dealing with a mix already (which it sounds like you are), treat it as that and don't try and bring out individual elements. If you do, you'll find you create an unnatural sounding mix, and create problems in the other instruments when you fix the ones you're focusing on.

There are VST plugins designed for mastering, but really any audio editing software should do you fine.
mezzio13
GOODmin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercy Buckets Guys!
vivadeluxxe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-Racks is a great peice of mastering software. You don't really need to know that much about mastering with it, as it has loads of pre-sets for all types of situations...
Personally, I just use an EQ and a compressor/limiter tho...
dots
BADmin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob wrote:
Is it a 4 track cassette with the instruments still seperated? If it's not, and you're dealing with a mix already (which it sounds like you are), treat it as that and don't try and bring out individual elements. If you do, you'll find you create an unnatural sounding mix, and create problems in the other instruments when you fix the ones you're focusing on.

There are VST plugins designed for mastering, but really any audio editing software should do you fine.

+1

i did that with an old cassette tape of another band from ages ago. it's best just to eq it to the best sounding mix you can. on the plus side, though, you now have a digital copy that won't lose quality over time like tapes do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1