ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

A couple curious cheap guitars

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NickS
.
.


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 9459
Location: Nr. Basinggrad, UK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: A couple curious cheap guitars Reply with quote

Gear4Music "Seattle", contour body, reduced to 89.99
Hidden: 

Gear4music "Santa Monica", bound top, tummy cut, reduced to 89.99
Hidden: 

It's the pale, rubber-wood looking necks and the awful gear4music decal that ruin them for me. The Santa Monica's bridge looks quite interesting for the money....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jcyphe
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 16515

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one is like those old Stagg offsets that were everywhere for a few years. The second is an EVH type copy. I remember that Ernie ball/Music Man had a super budget brand called OLP, that made some halfway decent guitars.
_________________
paul_ wrote:
When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 19120
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcyphe wrote:
The first one is like those old Stagg offsets that were everywhere for a few years. The second is an EVH type copy. I remember that Ernie ball/Music Man had a super budget brand called OLP, that made some halfway decent guitars.


I remember OLP, but one of my pupils had another Music Man budget type thing under the brand Sterling. It seemed pretty excellent.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jcyphe
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 16515

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacchus wrote:
jcyphe wrote:
The first one is like those old Stagg offsets that were everywhere for a few years. The second is an EVH type copy. I remember that Ernie ball/Music Man had a super budget brand called OLP, that made some halfway decent guitars.


I remember OLP, but one of my pupils had another Music Man budget type thing under the brand Sterling. It seemed pretty excellent.


Yeah Sterling is more recent and under the Music Man brand.

They make the EVH style(although he's not with the company), The Dream Theater guy's guitars, and this thing among others.


_________________
paul_ wrote:
When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7371
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcyphe wrote:


Yeah Sterling is more recent and under the Music Man brand.

They make the EVH style(although he's not with the company), The Dream Theater guy's guitars, and this thing among others.



I like that...
_________________
Extreme distortion used discreetly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Johno
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 1889
Location: East London

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezb1 wrote:
jcyphe wrote:


Yeah Sterling is more recent and under the Music Man brand.

They make the EVH style(although he's not with the company), The Dream Theater guy's guitars, and this thing among others.



I like that...


Reminds me of the Marauder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fran
The Curmudgeon


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 21039
Location: Nottingham, Englandshire.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A company called Wesley made a guitar almost identical to the first one.
I bought one, the neck was shocking but the rest okay. I ended up putting a Squier neck on it and fitting two soapbar pickups.
Made a decent guitar in the end, definitely a good basis for a project.
_________________
dezb1 wrote:
Stop fucking about and get an SD-1

robroe wrote:
I got a stomach ache. Anyone got any heroin? Or like a gun or something?

brandonwinmill wrote:
Maybe i'll sell my internet. It's lost its fun since i already beat it twice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 19120
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcyphe wrote:
Bacchus wrote:
jcyphe wrote:
The first one is like those old Stagg offsets that were everywhere for a few years. The second is an EVH type copy. I remember that Ernie ball/Music Man had a super budget brand called OLP, that made some halfway decent guitars.


I remember OLP, but one of my pupils had another Music Man budget type thing under the brand Sterling. It seemed pretty excellent.


Yeah Sterling is more recent and under the Music Man brand.

They make the EVH style(although he's not with the company), The Dream Theater guy's guitars, and this thing among others.


Yeah, the guy is a bit of a Petrucci fan and I'm nearly certain it's one of those models. I like the look of that Stingray. Kinda Fendery and kinda seventies.

I take it the Sterling S.U.B. line are basically the current OLP?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jcyphe
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 16515

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacchus wrote:

I take it the Sterling S.U.B. line are basically the current OLP?


I'm guessing yes.




This would look way better with a different or larger headstock. The one on there is too small. It looks weird on a guitar with that body shape.
_________________
paul_ wrote:
When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7371
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcyphe wrote:
Bacchus wrote:

I take it the Sterling S.U.B. line are basically the current OLP?


I'm guessing yes.




This would look way better with a different or larger headstock. The one on there is too small. It looks weird on a guitar with that body shape.


The headstock does let it down.
_________________
Extreme distortion used discreetly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Noirie.
YOUTH


Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Posts: 4564

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Looks modern and neat but not too generic.

Would like to try one but there's a very little about them anywhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 622521 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!