ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

New Fender Coronados

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesSmann

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: New Fender Coronados Reply with quote

Okay, so fuck me for being way out of the loop. But these re-issued Coronado's that Fender is doing right now. Does anyone have any 'sperience with them? I'm about to go buy one (Thanks, Aen for re-awakening my serious gear addiction!). But want to know if they have nay shortcomings. I give zero fucks about country of origin. Just want to know if they play and sound as remotely tits as their elders do.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember playing both the coronado and starcaster RI's when they first came out but not seen them stocked much since...think there's one shop around here that still carries them but they're hanging from the ceiling in an "ask to play" kind of way. I remember liking the Coro while not caring for the starcaster because of the weird body shape. I imagine the pickups don't sound the same but that can always be messed with later. The body is semi hollow as opposed to the original being full, so a little heavier and more solid feeling which is either a pro or a con depending what you like.

I'd go for it but try to find a deal on one.
JamesSmann

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
I remember playing both the coronado and starcaster RI's when they first came out but not seen them stocked much since...think there's one shop around here that still carries them but they're hanging from the ceiling in an "ask to play" kind of way. I remember liking the Coro while not caring for the starcaster because of the weird body shape. I imagine the pickups don't sound the same but that can always be messed with later. The body is semi hollow as opposed to the original being full, so a little heavier and more solid feeling which is either a pro or a con depending what you like.

Thanks Nick! I appreciate someone with firsthand experience sharing it. Smile Right now, American Musical Supply has them going for like $699, which to me is a pretty good deal if they are half the instrument they look to be. I love AMS' easy payment plans, because I could cover $95ish a month for 8 months easily. Coronado's are easily in my top 3 most coveted guitars...I love Semi-hollows and hollows. After the Coronado, the next guitar I want to own one day is a Gretsch hollow body...a Falcon would be dope. I have an electromatic solid body of theirs that I really enjoy playing...just have never nutted up to the big dog yet.
zastruga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesSmann wrote:
Nick wrote:

Thanks Nick! I appreciate someone with firsthand experience sharing it. Smile Right now, American Musical Supply has them going for like $699, which to me is a pretty good deal if they are half the instrument they look to be. I love AMS' easy payment plans, because I could cover $95ish a month for 8 months easily. Coronado's are easily in my top 3 most coveted guitars...I love Semi-hollows and hollows. After the Coronado, the next guitar I want to own one day is a Gretsch hollow body...a Falcon would be dope. I have an electromatic solid body of theirs that I really enjoy playing...just have never nutted up to the big dog yet.

I haven't played a Coronado RI, but I own a Starcaster RI. The build quality is fantastic, much better than you'd expect from a Chinese Fender. Finish is immaculate, neck feels great, pickups are solid, etc etc. I'd imagine the Coronados would be of similar quality given that they are from the same factory/line/all that. I'd suggest giving NStuff (http://www.nstuffmusic.com/) a call/email, they hooked me up with the Starcaster brand new for $550 shipped.
cobascis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from experience with my vintage Coro, updated pickups probably isn't a bad thing. The starcasters RI I've played are nice, super thick poly finish though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobascis wrote:
Speaking from experience with my vintage Coro, updated pickups probably isn't a bad thing. The starcasters RI I've played are nice, super thick poly finish though.

Interesting. The finish on mine isn't overly thick, at least not compared to some other Chinese guitars I've seen. Obviously not nitro-thin, but I'm rather impressed with the quality of the paint job nonetheless.

Plenty of grain visible, though hard to tell from this photo:
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap, i had no idea. where is LPB tho
Josh
The Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awstin made that shit happen. I've really come around to the starcasters they just put out, there's this dude in a band called panuccis pizza that plays one of them and makes it sound awesome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: