ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

EHX Bass Soul Food

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BearBoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: EHX Bass Soul Food Reply with quote

EHX seem to be releasing a new pedal every fortnight atm...

Mike Matthews, EHX Founder and President wrote:
Our Soul Food put 'Klon-like' transparent overdrive into the hands of players at an unprecedented price point. Now we're bringing that to bass guitarists and guitar players who want more low-end definition.

EHX Marketing People wrote:
A natural overdrive and clean boost for the tone conscious player to enhance the original sound of an instrument and amp while retaining their essential character.

Its gain stage, treble control and signal path are optimized for bass guitar and guitarists wanting extended low frequency response. An adjustable clean blend assures an articulate, full tone while boosted power rails deliver extended headroom.

EHX Founder and President, Mike Matthews, stated: “Our Soul Food put ‘Klon-like’ transparent overdrive into the hands of players at an unprecedented price point. Now we want to bring that to bass guitarists and guitar players who want more low-end definition. The Bass Soul Food delivers a wide range of overdrive and clean boost sounds, and has plenty of volume to assert your place in the mix. It will give your tone a lift in all the right places!”

Selectable true or buffered bypass modes and a switchable -10dB pad for active instruments complete the package. Bass Soul Food runs on a 9V battery and ships with a EHX9.6DC-200 power supply.

Quick Specs
- Natural overdrive/clean boost sounds great on bass and guitar
- Adjustable clean blend for articulate, full tone
- Boosted power rails for extra definition and headroom
- Selectable true or buffered bypass
- Switchable -10dB pad
- Ships with an EHX9.6DC-200 power supply

Link

LANK

ekwatts wrote:
I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andertons and GAK both have it up for pre-order at £59 in the UK.

ANDERTONS

GAK

ekwatts wrote:
I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Concretebadger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Not a bad price, that.

TBH a blend control might be useful for standard guitar too...the Sparkle Drive has a clean control for instance (albeit a boosted clean signal, but still).

This is a Klon clone, right? And the East River is a TS-type circuit?
BearBoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Soul Food was supposed to be a Klon-a-like (not sure if it was an actual clone like Tim's ones are). Thought this sounded pretty good with guitar in the demo - blend control looked useful.

ekwatts wrote:
Ankhanu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, saw this yesterday, and as a bass and guitar player, it's tempting as hell. I like the idea of the blend control, but I'd love to hear this and the standard Soul Food side by side for guitar. Not really certain which is better for my use.

I'd been intending to get a Soul Food when I have the cash, this may be the way to go.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
71Smallbox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BearBoy wrote:
Yeah, the Soul Food was supposed to be a Klon-a-like (not sure if it was an actual clone like Tim's ones are). Thought this sounded pretty good with guitar in the demo - blend control looked useful.

The Soul Food was a clone with only one variation, it used Si diodes instead of Ge, but they were the kind with a lower forward voltage so they sound close to the Ge's.
This looks as if they just put in 2 pots instead of using a dual ganged pot for blend/volume which the Klon/Soul Food has.
Ankhanu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked one of these fuckers up about a month ago or so, and it's a fantastic pedal.

For a clean bass amp or guitar amp (Twin Reverb, Peavey T-Max set clean), I largely have the gain sitting around 2 o'clock, volume at about 10:30, Treble mixed in around 1:30 and blend dirt to around 2:30... Gives both bass and guitar a good little bite, filling in the low gain needs that my Fulltone DP-1 just can't accomplish. It does colour tone a bit (what with the treble increase), but is relatively transparent.
With a dirty amp (AC30, Peavey T-Max with tube pre cranked), I just us it as a treble boost, dialling the gain out, and upping the output to push the already crunchy amp into higher gain, with some amp compression.

Both of these uses can produce fairly similar sounds, really. Boosting a driven amp, or dialling in the gain will give relatively similar levels of gain and saturation. I haven't liked the gain so much with an already driven amp... though in front of another dirt pedal it performs pretty nicely too.

I'm super happy with the pedal for both bass and guitar; excellent purchase for sure.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: