ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Ibanez Echo Shifter ES2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Ibanez Echo Shifter ES2 Reply with quote

Has anyone here actually tried or owned one of these yet? I've been seeing it around and am starting to develop GAS....seems to check all the boxes for what I'm looking for in a delay, and way easier to manage for several reasons than my Vox Delaylab which I've since designated to organ/synth use.

Unless someone tells me they suck I think I might try to pick one up soon.

Link

jcyphe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my favorite form factor for pedal. I'll have to check that out.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried one yet but I just snagged one on eBay. Will report back when it gets here....thinking of using it for keyboard tho.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved the look of it as soon as I laid eyes on it. Wouldn't mind one myself.

Brandon W wrote:
you elites.
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it's being sold mainly on the aesthetics really; don't see how it's different to a million other delay pedals.

However, it does look and sound nice.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure $120 for an analog delay with the features it has isn't too bad.

I'm going to be placing it atop my keyboard so the idea of a slider for delay time is appealing to me.
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally wanna waggle that slider
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This arrived today. My plans foiled because as it turns out I much prefer it with guitar to keys. I'll probably look for a small/cheap digital delay for that. It really is a great sounding pedal in a somewhat gimmicky package. But it's simple, easy to use, lots of versatility and I feel I have control over it especially with the tap tempo.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaand it just inexplicably died on me today at practice...added a freeze pedal to the board, worked fine for a few days, bought a pedal board and after setting it up, nothing out of the es2. Then I noticed the smell. Use a 1 spot which should be plenty of juice for the 4 pedals I use. The surge strip I was using was a little questionable (flickering light)...idk.

But I brought it to the local shop for an estimate, the guy there said it's not the first es2 he's seen die. He mentioned a customer who's sent his back to Ibanez 3 times. Doesn't seem good. Which sucks because this is hands down the best delay pedal I've owned so far and have no idea what I could replace it with (had a carbon copy before which was underwhelming for me.)
George

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear it crapped out

i love the look of things like that, but that slider is asking to get nudged during playing when you least want it

thats also why chicken pointers are generally a bad idea
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slider's my favorite part! I (delicately) nudge it with my foot for analog delay spaceship noises, and besides, there's a tap tempo that overrides the slider for dialing in something more specific for actual playing.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doog wrote:
Seems like it's being sold mainly on the aesthetics really; don't see how it's different to a million other delay pedals.

Can you suggest some of these millions of other delay pedals? Must be analog and able to oscillate, have a wet/dry mix control, tap tempo, and modulation (preferably with EXTERNAL depth control).
Concretebadger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An MXR Carbon Copy is analogue, can self-oscillate, has a wet/dry mix and a modulation setting, but the modulation is just an on-off button (iirc) set with internal trim pots. I've never heard of a true analogue delay having a tap tempo before.

So yeah. The ES2 sounds like it's a great piece of kit...if it's reliable.
Gabriel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth checking out the Ehx deluxe memory boy. It's analogue with tap tempo.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to mention the memory man with Hazarai. It's digital but it certainly sounds pretty analoguey and it can do all the stuff you've mentioned (I think?).

Although if you really like the Ibanez I think it's worth giving it another go with a replacement model if you can get one for free under warranty.

You've been having pretty shitty luck with nice gear crapping out on you recently.
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacchus wrote:

Although if you really like the Ibanez I think it's worth giving it another go with a replacement model if you can get one for free under warranty.

You've been having pretty shitty luck with nice gear crapping out on you recently.

I'm not even going to try Ibanez. I bought it as "used" on eBay, even though it obviously had never been used, still in box with the original battery still shrinkwrapped, not a scratch on it. But I didn't buy it from an authorized Ibanez retailer and to apply for the warranty they ask that. I'm just gonna see if my local tech can fix it, I should have my estimate in a couple days. The only other time I fried a pedal was a Zoom Ultra Fuzz that I hooked up the wrong power supply to. This one was the same power supply I'd been using; this experience has taught me to pay more attention to warranties and where I buy my gear from.

The only other gear that's crapped out on me recently that I can think of is my Ampeg PF500, which didn't die on me as much as it was a DOA refurb unit that never worked to begin with (I had only tried it through headphones before buying the cab, which worked fine, it only faulted out with a cab). The (new) PF-500 I bought to replace it has given me no problems whatsoever.
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Doog wrote:

Can you suggest some of these millions of other delay pedals? Must be analog and able to oscillate, have a wet/dry mix control, tap tempo, and modulation (preferably with EXTERNAL depth control).

I'm eating my words, but would just tell you to get an Line 6 M5 anyways.

Link

It'll sound as close to analog as anyone can actually tell.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabriel wrote:
It might be worth checking out the Ehx deluxe memory boy. It's analogue with tap tempo.

Thanks for the tip! I was looking at several dmm type offerings but that looks like exactly what I want, although it comes at a slightly higher pricetag as well as having to suffer the ridicule from my bandmate for being an ehx fanboy. But it has the bonus of being expression pedal compatible so I don't need to worry about accidentally mashing the slider on the es2. I still haven't heard from the shop about the es2, if it's a lost cause I'll ditch it and pick up the ehx.

I really didn't like my mxr carbon copy. No idea why, it was just bland to me.

Doog, as much as those things I'm sure sound amazing, my experiences with complex do-it-all type gear usually just leave me noodling more and writing less. I probably will end up with one at some point, but not this minute.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: