ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

NGD Les Paul Studio 70s tribute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: NGD Les Paul Studio 70s tribute Reply with quote

I got the chance to trade my Baja Tele for this and much as I loved the Baja I can always pick up another one for cheaps at some point in the future. Probably one with a rosewood fretboard. These LP models have now been replaced with one with mini Hums so I thought I'd grab this while I could still find one.

I'd been thinking about trying out a Gibson again and thought what the hell, I'd go the LP route this time.

The high output humbuckers and the neck profile (with volute) were the 2 things that sold me on this. The buckers are super heavy output (almost too heavy) but if you roll them back to around 7-8 they clean up very nicely. That way if you pop the volume up to 10 it's like a boost. It has traditional weight relief so it's pretty weighty (it probably seems heavier to me as I usually play Mustang/MM guitars). The rosewood fingerboard is nice and dark too.

As for possible future mods, I might look into a HB sized P90 for the neck position, if I do that I'll swap the pots on that part of the circuit and change the wiring on it to vintage style (it's not something you can really do with the Dirty Fingers pickups cos they get too shrill). These have thin finishes so it'll age pretty quickly. It's already worn round some of the edges. So a refinish may be on the cards sometime in the future if I can decide on a colour I like. I may just buy some nitro clear (or slightly dark tinted clear) and gloss it up a bit more. Mainly to protect the wood rather than being all that fussed cosmetically.

Overall I'm very impressed and it's nice to have something that covers some totally different territory sonically. I'd say that it's a great LP that you can buy new for Mexican Fender money. The build quality is pretty much flawless with the only negative being that some of the fret ends needed a bit of polishing/smoothing. Also the thin finish may not be to everyones liking but that's where they've cut back on lots of man hours in producing these. The Grover tuners are great, tuning stability is spot on (that's one thing I gad a serious issue with on both my previous Gibsons). You can also get this with the min-e-tune system if that floats your boat.

I've been getting my metalz on for the last couple of days. It could be a keeper but I guess time will tell. It looks a bit like a bowling ball...
I've also been thinking about buying a preowned LP Custom before they get too expensive to consider so this will be a sort of dry run for that.

Obligatory leather couch LP pics:

Gabriel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the look of that guitar. I've not played a les paul in years and it's something I've been kind of looking into. I have literally no money though which is a pretty good deterrent!
Progrockabuse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are these? I've just picked up a 2012 70s tribute with the mini humbuckers in a very similar colour. Been quite impressed with it so far. Nice find Thomas Smile

A Fender into a cranked amp = life goals
paul_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool as fuck

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
NickD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice - I think a dark red really suits a Les Paul. Raise that tailpiece a cm or so though - it can bend the bridge having it all the way down.
Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progrockabuse wrote:
How old are these? I've just picked up a 2012 70s tribute with the mini humbuckers in a very similar colour. Been quite impressed with it so far. Nice find Thomas Smile

It's a 2013. I thought the minihum version was the new one. Looks like I got that backwards. I don't think I saw yours... or was it a Gold Top? I think my brain is going with old age.

NickD wrote:
Very nice - I think a dark red really suits a Les Paul. Raise that tailpiece a cm or so though - it can bend the bridge having it all the way down.

Cheers for the tip. I had set it low with just enough clearance so the strings would not snag on the back of the bridge. I had no clue the bridge could bend on these. I'll raise it up a bit today. The red is nice and actually looks better in person. Shitty iphone camera is shitty.
Progrockabuse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas wrote:
Progrockabuse wrote:

It's a 2013. I thought the minihum version was the new one. Looks like I got that backwards. I don't think I saw yours... or was it a Gold Top? I think my brain is going with old age.

I didn't make a post about it, just stuck in sneaky onto the
Guitar pictures thread Wink

A Fender into a cranked amp = life goals
Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cunning/sneaky of you. It looks great. I don't think I've ever seen that version before. I take it from your comments about the mini hums on NickDs music room thread that you're loving them? I'd love to hear a demo if you get the chance.
NickD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas wrote:

NickD wrote:

Cheers for the tip. I had set it low with just enough clearance so the strings would not snag on the back of the bridge. I had no clue the bridge could bend on these. I'll raise it up a bit today. The red is nice and actually looks better in person. Shitty iphone camera is shitty.

Don't get me wrong, it can take a while to do the damage, but it had happened on my Deluxe over the years. Either raise it about 1/4 inch, apparently that is enough.
Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's crazy the such a small amount of difference in the break angle can make such a difference.
singlepup

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it... And I also like Rob's with the minihums. Just when I thought LPs were going out of style... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: