ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Are there any gain pedals with expression blend?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Are there any gain pedals with expression blend? Reply with quote

Once I had this setup where my signal split into two channels out of a stereo pedal into my amp, one going clean (with a dirt pedal if need be), the other had a fuzz pedal and volume pedal to blend in dirt with my clean tone

I ditched that setup eventually because it seemed way too bulky for what I was trying to do and did have minor volume issues between channels, but it did sound great, it was almost like hearing two guitars at once- really filled out the sound.

So are there any overdrive/fuzz/distortion pedals that have a wet/dry blend, and in particular compatible with an expression pedal to control said blend? I probably could look at digital multi-fx options but I'd rather not.
Progrockabuse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akai did that shred o matic pedal a while back. That's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

A Fender into a cranked amp = life goals
BearBoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass dirt pedals often have blend controls. Not seen any with expression pedal control though.

Stuff like the Bass Big Muff and Bass Soul Food are supposed to be good with guitar.

ekwatts wrote:
I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I don't know much about this stuff or how feasible it is but if any of our resident pedal builders here (Mike, Tim, Aen, probably others I'm forgetting) can whip up something along the lines of a simple fuzz pedal with an expression pedal output for an additional blend control, or modify an existing pedal, feel free to pm me, I am very interested in this.

It seems so obvious, I think there's been Digitech artist wah type pedals that do this type of thing, I just really don't really want to go down the multi-fx road. I thought I remembered the new Moog effects having expression but it's just for drive, no blend.
paul_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tone In Progress used to make a mechanical expression-style pedal called the 3rd Hand with a cable you'd attach to the potentiometer shaft of another pedal. They aren't made anymore and prices tend to vary wildly when you see 'em (one sold on Reverb a few months back for $60 tho), but that's always an option. Electro-Harmonix developed the original in the '70s or '80s called the Hotfoot.

Alternatively you could just get one of those "option knob" things which is just a huge big stupid ugly wing-nut shaped thing you replace the blend knob with so you can turn it with your foot. There's another brand's circular plexiglass/acrylic one called the kick pad or something like that... admittedly an expression pedal would be vastly preferable to this.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not your style I know, but on the Line6 M series pedals, you can control any parameter (even multiple simutanelously) with the exp pedal.

You can effect have multiple fx set up with different values for the heel and toe, and sweep between em; pretty bonkers.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Came in to post this exact thing. What's more, I'm a dirt snob, but a lot of the distortions, ODs and fuzzes on the M13 were brilliant.
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fender Blender has a clean/distortion mix knob, but no expression pedal out.

Boss PD-1 has a pedal, but for varying the distortion amount; not a blend.

A processor would be more likely to have this. Or get a custom made thing.
moogmusic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the best thing for this would be some kind of parallel loop like the LS-2 which takes an expression pedal? Then you could use a drive of your choice provide the dirt.

Though unhelpfully, I've no idea if such a thing exists.
YuriK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt the moog OD do that?

Josh wrote:
THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU POUR WINE ON IT INSTEAD OF BEER.

euan wrote:
stop trying to put guitar mojo arrows on yuri's dick
paul_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YuriK wrote:
Doesnt the moog OD do that?

Think the Moog ODs exp input controls the tone or gain, not blend.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
sp3k

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have someone build you the dirt pedal you want with that option, or mod some pedal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: