ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

My modded Squier CV Duo-Sonic...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinomike77

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: My modded Squier CV Duo-Sonic... Reply with quote

I wanted to post this here first, but I had to put it on TDPRI first to upload the pics. Still not sure if I posted it right; any help would be appreciated. Hope you guys like it!

A couple of years ago, I happened on a Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic for a great price on closeout at a Best Buy store. It was brand new in the box and everything. The neck was perfect and it sounded great. Light as a feather and the quietest single coil guitar I've ever played, to boot. I got it home and set it up with 11s and it was even better. What kept sending it back to the closet was my love/hate feelings about the look of that gold guard.

Last year, I bought a bridge for a '90s Musicmaster to use at some point in the future. I like the flared plate that looks like a Music master/Duo-Sonic II or a Toronado. It has six barrel saddles, unlike the Toronado which has the folded Strat-style. As a Tele guy primarily, I don't really care for those.

Forward to a couple of weeks ago: Bored, I started looking at how that Musicmaster bridge might work on the Duo. Seemed like it would be cool, but would require modifying the pickguard. Perfect time to look for a new guard. I didn't find anything CV-specific that seemed resonable, but I did come across WD's guard for the '90's Duo-sonic. While WD said it would NOT fit a CV, I studied it: the perimeter holes looked the same and, bonus, the bridge cut out looked like it would accommodate the Musicmaster bridge. Below are the results. I realize this was rather long-winded. If anyone would like more info on the process, I'll be happy to expound. If I've bored everyone to tears, I'd understand that, too.

[img]http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachments/other-guitars-other-instruments/232892d1398615393t-my-modded-squier-cv-duo-sonic-photo-4-jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachments/other-guitars-other-instruments/232893d1398615393t-my-modded-squier-cv-duo-sonic-photo-3-jpg[/img]
gusman2x

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome man.

Looks awesome. My CV duo is one of, if not, my favourite guitars. Feels great, sounds great. I love it.
Zack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My modded Squier CV Duo-Sonic... Reply with quote

dinomike77 wrote:

Add .jpg to the end of those hyperlinks for the images to show up, the jpg in the link is part of the file name. I think i prefer the anodized pickguard, but the black works well with the sand. Any plans on changing the knobs?
paul_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the black guard because it doesn't clash with anything. Both gold and black are sort of the odd colour out on that guitar but with the contrasting covers/knobs and the desert sand being close to the neck maple, either work for me equally well.
Love the double angled pickups and the new bridge, they make it look like the '90s duo but all seventies'd out with a glossy maple neck and blackguard.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dinomike77

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words. And thanks to Goots. for the assist!

The gold looks great in vintage photos but is too orange for me on the CV in person.

It definitely has a '70's vibe now. I'd like to change the knobs to take that further, but I can't figure what would look best. Bronco knobs would be hot, but I've also considered recent Fender amp knobs that are just low-profile creme plastic with a single black line. Problem with those is that I don't know if the knobs, pickup covers and tuner knobs would harmonize or look like a bunch of mismatched, janky crap!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
jagsonic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! I also love the cv duo. It's one of my best liked guitars. I think the black pg works very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: