ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Jag rolling switches!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
weeping_moon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Jag rolling switches! Reply with quote

Got a question can you only buy only one of the rollers and replace it? Is there any difference between a japan made or mexico or squier?
taylornutt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jag rolling switches! Reply with quote

weeping_moon wrote:
Got a question can you only buy only one of the rollers and replace it? Is there any difference between a japan made or mexico or squier?

Not entirely sure but I bet there are American rollers and Japanese rollers. There are definitely American and Japanese switches on Jaguars and Jazzmasters.

As far Mexico or Squier, not sure.

I have a J Mascis Jazzmaster (MIJ) and an AVRI Jaguar. I can check when I get home today. Of course my Jazzmaster is a signature model so it might not be reflective of typical MIJ/CIJ Jazzmasters.
paul_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are American rollers to fit CTS pots and Japanese rollers to fit metric pots. The mounting brackets for the pots under the guard are different too to account for the different mounting shaft sizes.

I would guess that the Squiers/MIMs use the same spec roller/bracket as the Japanese because their pots are all metric, but the squiers have american spec guards so something else might be going on there, i don't know... in any case, Japanese rollers should fit anything except a US pot.

GPR have some Japanese roller knobs and I'm sure you can find them elsewhere, like eBay.

http://guitarpartsresource.com/guitarknobs_jazzmaster.htm

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Rox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon out of all places has them .
weeping_moon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rox wrote:

Okay good to know!

But i have to admit i didnt understand the roller was a tone. It works perfect.
Im new jag player and didnt know all the features.
paul_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're volume and tone for an adjustable treble-bled setting for the neck pickup. This was an elaboration on pre-1967 Telecaster wiring's jazz setting, in which there's a "no tone" setting for the neck pickup. The problem with that was it was always too quiet and too muddy (plus you couldn't use both pickups without balancing the switch precariously between positions 1 and 2, like on a Strat with a 3-way) so the Jazzmaster and Jaguar added a 1meg vol and 50k tone to that setting and isolated it from the rest of the guitar's controls. It was a good idea for a jazz guitar at the time but because people tend to use much darker base sounds to begin with now (and/or not bright-ass '50s combos) both the AV Tele wiring and rhythm circuits seem pointless to most. IMO the bass cut switch is no different... that's just the rhythm circuit's annoying cousin, also called Kyle.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
meltedbuzzbox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rox wrote:

Amazon has everything
weeping_moon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
They're volume and tone for an adjustable treble-bled setting for the neck pickup. This was an elaboration on pre-1967 Telecaster wiring's jazz setting, in which there's a "no tone" setting for the neck pickup. The problem with that was it was always too quiet and too muddy (plus you couldn't use both pickups without balancing the switch precariously between positions 1 and 2, like on a Strat with a 3-way) so the Jazzmaster and Jaguar added a 1meg vol and 50k tone to that setting and isolated it from the rest of the guitar's controls. It was a good idea for a jazz guitar at the time but because people tend to use much darker base sounds to begin with now (and/or not bright-ass '50s combos) both the AV Tele wiring and rhythm circuits seem pointless to most. IMO the bass cut switch is no different... that's just the rhythm circuit's annoying cousin, also called Kyle.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: