ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

CarlosMaster Project (Formally 'Diagnose this problem?')

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: CarlosMaster Project (Formally 'Diagnose this problem?') Reply with quote

Got the CarlosMaster and as he'd warned there no sound. I don't really know how to test this however my dad had a multimeter type thing which was too esoteric to work out HOWEVER I could test some connectivity (I think) . Most runs of wire indicated connectivity and pretty sure the pup has output. The only bit that didn't is between the live lugs on the first pot (the left hand pot in both photos). I'm guessing this indicates the pot is bust? Cab anyone spot anything obvious that I'm missing?

iCEByTes wrote:
Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.

Last edited by Dave on Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
George

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

none of my caps are wired up like that in my guitars. don't know if that'll make a difference? maybe it's wired up wrong?

sorry, no idea.
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's wired wrong, the earth connection on the pot on the right is dodgy as well, and there's no way to see what's going on with the pickup, which in itself is complicated to wire with 4 leads.

Musicmaster diagram
The little triangles are earth/ground connections, connect those to themselves and the shielding/pots and "ground terminal" on the jack in the diagram.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent this weekend doing some tweaking to the Carlosmaster. A series of fortuitous coincidences enabled a very pleasing result.

I got a really good deal on a set of Schaller M4 tuners (per Honeyiscool's recommendation in his excellent Bronco modding thread) so I dowelled the existing holes with some dowelling my Dad had that exactly fit .... super hard work sanding flat as the dowel seemed super hard wood. Got there in the end, but the decal disapeared under the onslaught.. Mounted Tuners just fine. Good enough for punk rock anyhow.

Also slightly repositioned the pickguard to bring the pup route more evenly under the strings.

Got some Rotosound strings which just happened to have a nice blue binding.....which looks ACE....HOWEVER, the bottom E sounds fucking HORRIBLE. Dead, weird harmonics, flubby, Intonation all over the shop.....Did a google and found folks with the same issue with these strings....dunno what to do. Probably contact Rotosound.

iCEByTes wrote:
Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: