ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Telecaster Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilrecar77

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Telecaster Build Reply with quote

What's up shortscale? Here's my first guitar build.

Flickr Set

CAM00343 by Patrick A Johnson

Basically, I'm doing a set neck, german carved top and back, oak telecaster. The neck is going to be maple (or a maple/oak laminate, not sure yet) with a rosewood fretboard.

I'm a senior in high school, and part of graduation requirements calls for me to complete Graduation Project, which is a collection of various components that document a student learning a new skill with a mentor. The topic I chose is lutherie, so this is my product. Normally I would sound a lot more excited about this, but the project as a whole is very tedious and frustrating due to deadlines. I'm just complaining about something that I will probably be thankful for later (the initiative to actually build a guitar).

Anyway, the plan started as a quartersawn oak bodied telecaster. I went to the local lumber supply and bought a rough-sawn piece of the oak, 8/4 thick, 12' long and 6" wide. The body is a three piece with a rift-matched top. I think the oak looks pretty cool, it's definitely something that you don't see on guitars very often. Perhaps because it looks like flooring, but flamed maple gets old sometimes. With a lot of borrowing of tools, I planed, jointed, and bandsawed the oak into the body blank. I really like the german carve look, so I think I'll do the same to the back, paint the inside of the carves black and do the side, top, and back natural. A bolt-on neck is definitely still an option, but the piece of maple I bought from my mentor is large enough to do a tenon that extends 2.5" past the end of the neck into the body. If I can draw it up in CAD, I'm looking forward to doing it as a set neck. Really the only reason I'm doing a set neck on this is to see if I can lol. Thus far, I haven't worked with my mentor yet, and he seems to have dropped communications, but that is a whole other set of issues.

In the flickr gallery there are a few pictures of the oak with some danish oil on it, which is what I plan to use for the natural finish. This is turning out to be a hell of a learning experience!
cur

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun. Keep us updated.

robert(original)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool
NickS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cur wrote:
Keep us updated.

This.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: