ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Zachary guitars: wtf?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedfish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robert(original) wrote:
i like that he points out that.
1.) fancy wood does not make a guitar sound any better
2.) thick poly finishes are very plastic like
but he kinda double fucks himself in the ass in the article by stating that wood doesn't matter, and proves it by using discaded pine(leo started out using pine)
and the goes on to say that pine resonates and tries to imply that an oil finish will let the tone of the instrument ring thru.
BULLSHIT!
ITS A SOLID BODY, BOLT ON GUITAR.
YOUR "TONE" COMES IN THE FORM OF A POTENTIOMETER VALUE!!!!
im fucking sick of hearing that crap. there is more tone in your picking style and playing style than there is in the difference of wood or finish, IN THE CONTEXT OF AN ELECTRIC SOLIDBODY BOLT ON GUITAR.
as far as acoustics go, thats another ballgame. different wood and finishes will affect the sound. as well as bracing styles. body depth etc etc.
the guy has a few points. but he uses them to stab himself in the cock.

I respectfully disagree. Two of the same make/model/wood will not sound/resonate the same through the same amp. Your personallity/picking style will ring through, but the guitars will not be necessarily sound equal in quality when heard. In my experience the guitar that sounds better unamplified sounds better amplified.

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, these kinds of statements are only valid when you have done so in a completely blind test with as physically identical gear (wood excepting) as is controllable in our hypothetical experiment.... or you are more likely to be subject to the clinically observed cognitive phenomena called 'Confirmation Bias'.

Do I think wood would make any difference? Yes (difference always equals a difference), but its effect would be so microscopic that I doubt that it is noticeable consciously to most. in fact difference might be so small that minor inconsistencies in the manufacturing of any given pots or capacitors might equal as great a difference between two 'identical' guitars. How tightly the neck screws are done up might yield similarly tiny variables. It really is the realm of the uncontrollably small you're talking about.... Either opinion is pretty much just hypothesis without some hard scientific tests.
BearBoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zachary Guitars wrote:
The idea of people with phisical (sic) disabilities buying Zachs just bugs me.

Nice bloke.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Either opinion is pretty much just hypothesis without some hard scientific tests.

A dude on TDPRI did a recording of a bunch of different guitars, with different woods, different pickups etc. and asked people to guess what they were. Most people could tell the difference between a strat and a les paul or a tele and an SG but it was tough to tell the difference between a strat and a tele on a recording. And these were people who played/listened to guitars all the time. So, if you're telling me the guitar sounds better when it's not plugged into an amp, I would somewhat agree but when you use the power of EQ, the type of wood has so little effect, it can't be noticed. It's hard to tell the difference between ash, pine, or plywood.

Anything in the electronics can change tone. RobOG is totally right. The pots in your guitar effect the tone much more than wood ever will.

follow me . . . . you won't

Last edited by SKC Willie on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
robert(original)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the j.s. body i built for.... shit i don't remember who. but it was hardtail and ash. anywho. i took apart my j.s. and put all the parts on the ash hardtail body.
and guess what. it sounded exactly the same.
so ash hartail vs basswood top load trem system= same fucking sound.
thats about as good as it gets. same electronics. same player. same neck, same string gauge. everything really. except for the bridge style and the wood. which supposedly make the most difference(depending on which guitar wanker your listening to)
paul_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert is right but I would add that all the "tone" of a bolt-on (i.e. resonant properties and timbre) is in the neck. THIS is what's different on every guitar, even two consecutive production line imports.

I've swapped this MIM Classic '70s RI Strat's neck around on a GFS paulownia and an old Squier alder body (I converted it to a 4-bolt), it always sounds the same. It's a distinctively bassy and boomy sounding Strat. Everyone who plays it unplugged kind of raises an eyebrow. I want to put it on a VM Jazzmaster body so bad.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
speedfish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFyQXy74xz4

I bet it would sound better made from red brick Wink

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: