ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Question about Cabronita

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
izodiak
.
.


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 1480
Location: Latvia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Question about Cabronita Reply with quote

Im saving money for getting this Fender FSR (made in Mexico) Telecaster Cabronita

And I had a question would it be possible to put in some push pull pots or something like that to make it possible to
get the humbucker (Fideli'Tron) it has in a split mode, for example the bridge to be in a single coil mode.



For example this man has modded the controls crazy S1 switches, push pull etc (but it looks thats for the Special Edition american version, custom shop)

And do You think its a nice guitar ?
_________________
kim wrote:
plankton people will be plankton people
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
George
.
.


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 20468
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rout is deep enough push pulls are no problem and very easy to install coil splits on

Carbonitas are alright I guess
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
izodiak
.
.


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 1480
Location: Latvia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I just have no idea about the wiring (do all humbuckers have too 'out' wires) and so on..

Im just thinking between the humbucker 'players' jaguar or this.. (Ive never had an telecaster, neither a jaguar)
And here in Latvia the jaguars are not too popular, so I actually have never had a chance to play one, just clips on Youtube (eh, I know its sad)
_________________
kim wrote:
plankton people will be plankton people
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
brainfur
.
.


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 1874
Location: United States

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its nice
_________________
George wrote:
in the future there must be only guitars or only computers

theshadowofseattle wrote:
TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 62478
Location: Skrampa, FL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Filtertron is already the best sounding pickup in the world. You won't need to fuck with it.
_________________
gusman2x wrote:
wizard thickness

George wrote:
Yeah, thickness, nut
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brainfur
.
.


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 1874
Location: United States

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the mim version of the filter tron just as good?
_________________
George wrote:
in the future there must be only guitars or only computers

theshadowofseattle wrote:
TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
izodiak
.
.


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 1480
Location: Latvia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the sound of the Gretsch Electromatic series, and I really loved the Youtube reviews on the Cabronita miM (some of them had too much drive/fuzz, but oh well).

So I shouldnt fuck with the pickups.. OK.
Sometimes I think my P90s sound too fat (on my Epiphone Casino)..

Hidden: 
sounding like a dumbass here,but I just like to hear Your opinions

_________________
kim wrote:
plankton people will be plankton people
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Thom
lamp


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 5247
Location: Exeter, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really really like the look of Cabronita guitars. If they did them in left handed I would own one. You should totally do it. You can easily add push pull pots if the pickups are wired with 4 connectors, otherwise you'd need to swap them out or get them rewound/modified.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Progrockabuse
.
.


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 4643
Location: Derbyshire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbonita is on my wish list, really like it. Mainly since gearmandude did a demo of his kingbee version.
_________________
Fingers or Pick?

A Fender into a cranked amp = life goals
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
willlin
.
.


Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Posts: 494
Location: The Not So Grim/ Sunny South(ampton)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Love cabronitas. Black with white scratch plate and maple neck is sexy as hell. I've a feeling (based on zero google searching) that the MIM version doesn't use filtertrons, they're something else with a similar name...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stuart
.
.


Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 1250
Location: Yorkshire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shell pink, white bound body, one pickup la cabonita will be my next build.
_________________
obscure pop culture reference
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul_
.
.


Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 9225

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The route is deep enough for a push-pull, not that I've ever seen/held a Cabronita in person, just that it's a rear-route Telecaster. You couldn't ask for more real estate in the Fender solidbody department than a Tele with a hole all the way through to the back.
_________________
Aug wrote:
which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? Mad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brainfur
.
.


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 1874
Location: United States

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys the cabronita doesnt have a gretsch pickup in it anymore unless you get the custom shop version
_________________
George wrote:
in the future there must be only guitars or only computers

theshadowofseattle wrote:
TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul_
.
.


Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 9225

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually as the Custom Shop ones had TV Jones pickups whereas the current one has Fender-made "Fideli-trons" (and Fender own the Gretsch brand) you could say the cheaper ones have "Gretsch pickups" and the more expensive ones don't.

Fideli'trons (the current MIM Cabronita pickup) in a shoot-out versus filtertrons, of course they completely underestimate/skim over the sonic differences of the two guitar DESIGNS and the differences which that would impart on ANY pickup, but there's also objective commentary on the Cabronita vs traditional Tele pickups so it's all good:
Quote:

The Fideli'trons sounded more like single coils than the Filtertrons
Whilst the sound of the Fideli'trons most definitely wasn't pure single coil, it didn't quite have the same thickness as the Filtertrons. The tone was still rounded though and it really suited the Cabronita Tele - it was a good middle ground between traditional Tele 'thinness' and the weightier-sounding humbucker.

The Fideli'tron in the bridge of the Cabronita Tele was bright, but not as "sharp" sounding as a Tele normally is
The sound of the Fidelitron in the Cabronita was sweeter, and more 'jangly' whilst the Gretsch had a bit more low-midrange behind it.

The Fideli'tron and Filtertron neck pickups sounded more similar to each other than the bridge pickups
However, we still think that the Filtertron was more "humbuckerish". The difference was quite subtle and might be down to the different bodies of the guitars more than anything. The Fideli'tron produced a sound that was very similar to a normal tele neck single coil pickup but with more weight, whilst the Filtertron sounded more traditionally "low output humbucker" - as you might expect.
The Fideli'trons worked really well on the Cabronita

We all agreed that if Fender had just put Filtertrons into the Cabronita, it probably wouldn't have sounded as good. At the heart of it, the Cabronita is still a Tele and the Fideli'tron pickups deliver just a bit more beef to some of the Telecaster's defining sounds without completely taking away the vintagey bridge-pickup and rounded Tele neck-pickup characteristics that are often associated with single coil pickups.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/News/aid1471/what-are-fidelitron-pickups-fender-fidelitron-vs-gretsch-filtertron.asp
_________________
Aug wrote:
which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? Mad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
izodiak
.
.


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 1480
Location: Latvia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, thanks for all the opinons.. that review is really good, goes in depth.
Really like the looks of the white one, but it seems to be a 'see through white' ?

Then now Im starting to save my monies ! !

_________________
kim wrote:
plankton people will be plankton people
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
brainfur
.
.


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 1874
Location: United States

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
Actually as the Custom Shop ones had TV Jones pickups whereas the current one has Fender-made "Fideli-trons" (and Fender own the Gretsch brand) you could say the cheaper ones have "Gretsch pickups" and the more expensive ones don't.

Fideli'trons (the current MIM Cabronita pickup) in a shoot-out versus filtertrons, of course they completely underestimate/skim over the sonic differences of the two guitar DESIGNS and the differences which that would impart on ANY pickup, but there's also objective commentary on the Cabronita vs traditional Tele pickups so it's all good:
Quote:

The Fideli'trons sounded more like single coils than the Filtertrons
Whilst the sound of the Fideli'trons most definitely wasn't pure single coil, it didn't quite have the same thickness as the Filtertrons. The tone was still rounded though and it really suited the Cabronita Tele - it was a good middle ground between traditional Tele 'thinness' and the weightier-sounding humbucker.

The Fideli'tron in the bridge of the Cabronita Tele was bright, but not as "sharp" sounding as a Tele normally is
The sound of the Fidelitron in the Cabronita was sweeter, and more 'jangly' whilst the Gretsch had a bit more low-midrange behind it.

The Fideli'tron and Filtertron neck pickups sounded more similar to each other than the bridge pickups
However, we still think that the Filtertron was more "humbuckerish". The difference was quite subtle and might be down to the different bodies of the guitars more than anything. The Fideli'tron produced a sound that was very similar to a normal tele neck single coil pickup but with more weight, whilst the Filtertron sounded more traditionally "low output humbucker" - as you might expect.
The Fideli'trons worked really well on the Cabronita

We all agreed that if Fender had just put Filtertrons into the Cabronita, it probably wouldn't have sounded as good. At the heart of it, the Cabronita is still a Tele and the Fideli'tron pickups deliver just a bit more beef to some of the Telecaster's defining sounds without completely taking away the vintagey bridge-pickup and rounded Tele neck-pickup characteristics that are often associated with single coil pickups.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/News/aid1471/what-are-fidelitron-pickups-fender-fidelitron-vs-gretsch-filtertron.asp


oh ok thanks for the correction. they have different pickups is what i meant
_________________
George wrote:
in the future there must be only guitars or only computers

theshadowofseattle wrote:
TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul_
.
.


Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 9225

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izodiak wrote:
Really like the looks of the white one, but it seems to be a 'see through white' ?


It's good ol' white blonde, like the early '60s standard Teles (custom colour ones had the 3-ply guards and solid finishes or sunburst, which is what they went with for the '62 RIs). I personally love it, under higher contrast photography/bright stage lights it will appear solid white at times (a la Steve Cropper's) but up close that blued/greyed over grain is very pretty.


_________________
Aug wrote:
which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? Mad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 638781 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!